Drysuit layering?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nanook
c

Drysuit layering?

Post by nanook »

Hi, new to the forum and just getting back into whitewater this season and just got my hands on a full drysuit; wondering what people wear under them in different temps? I was thinking 100 weight tights and top+a 200 weight vest.

Also wondering about hand/headwear in cold and coldish water, just got a pair of the holy mitts at mec and they look sweet for early spring!

For my feet, thinking its wool socks, drysuit socks, neoprene socks, sneakers, ect
Last edited by nanook on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
milkman
C Maven

Re: Drysuit layering?

Post by milkman »

I like merino wool next to my skin. It absorbs the sweat, doesn't stink as much as polyester, and keeps you warm. I wear layers of polyester shirts over the wool layer. It has to be in the 20s (Fahrenheit) before I think about a fleece layer. My suggestion is to experiment with layers and carry an extra layer in your dry bag. Drysuits can be amazingly warm if you're paddling hard (catching eddies and waves, etc).

For my feet, I wear either wool or polyester socks and a pair of fleece socks over that. Your feet are the most likely body part to get cold because they're just sitting there braced against the pegs and sitting in icy water.
nanook
c

Post by nanook »

thanks! I'm having a bit of trouble thinking through layer thickness, your wearing a 2-3 layers of say patagonia capliene 2 & 3? I was thinking something like capline 1 or 2 top and bottom, R1 top and bottom and R2 vest?

What do you wear on your under your helmet/hands?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Milkman's comments are right on. If I'm getting cold on the river, I turn up the temp by paddling harder and making more moves. I find that if I wear too much on my feet it cuts off the circulation and they go to sleep and get cold. I'd like to get a specific set of booties about two sizes too big specifically for winter paddling. As for normal layers, just one thin top and bottom thermal layer for park and play or active paddling, if river running and just poking around I'll put on the stohlquist bunny suit, with nothing else but underwear. Overheating is a concern.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Need a little more info....
  • Do you paddle Open canoe or C1 ? .....(or both?)
    Does your drysuit have latex ankle seals or integral (dry feet) booties?
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    nanook
    c

Post by nanook »

Hey thanks - I paddle both but mainly open canoe, drysuit has socks and this is for spring runoff/late winter in Canada.
    Cheers, eh!
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

nanook wrote:What do you wear on your under your helmet/hands?

For me (in Maine) the key for the helmet is to have one without vents. The little earflaps the shred ready ones have are nice, too. I personally have too big a head/too much hair to wear much under a helmet, but a little neoprene skull cap is nice to prevent brain freeze.

For the hands, Pogies are the only way to go. I'm sure mittens are a close second, but I like being able to have my dexterity back if I simply pull my hand out of the pogie.
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
    DougB
    CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

For sub zero temps I wear thin poly long johns and a thin fleece layer. For warmer temps I wear an NRS union suit which is much nicer than a 2 piece. I tend to wear an extra layer on my legs rather than my core as they're stationary and the PFD insulates the core. I wear a powerstretch toque under my helmet as my heads too big to fit in those neoprene caps. Feet get polypro socks covered with wool socks covered with neoprene boots. Hands get 2 ml neoprene gloves. Much thicker and I can't feel the paddle.
    sbroam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

https://www.asseenontv.com/forever-lazy ... p?p=361243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And to think what I paid for my bunnysuit... [Must give BoaterTalk credit for tuning me into this new development...]
    canoemid
    C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Scott, I saw that on BT also, but my bunny suit has a double zipper which helps with a dry suit relief zip, and doesn't have the hood to deal with. But the price sure is good and looks like a great alternative.
    nanook
    c

Post by nanook »

that is just plain awesome --- I diffidently want one with matching socks... in time for Easter
    sbroam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Stohlquist bunny suit only came in blue :oops:
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

As a open boater only...

:roll:

I find it beneficial to add extra layers on bottom. With the usual abundance of water :wink: over heating in the lower region is not a problem, while not having enough is a real possibility. On a cool 50(f) degree day a couple layers work well; however once it get's cold (mid 40's on down) it's 3 layers of heavy weight for me. Ditto on using a good sock inside, with neoprene on the outside. Once it get's cold I'll go with a light weight shirt under a heavier weight zip-tee top. IMO a thin layer seems to pass perspiration better to the outer layer(s). Zip top's can be left up or down as the day changes, and their higher top is nice around the neck. For a rough approximation I usually add another layer for each 10-15 degrees..... have been known to wear four bottoms once it gets to freezing or below (cold for us southern'ers). And a hat is a must once it gets past real chilly.

Body fat will matter, living in one of two fattest states I see this all-to regularly. And I tend to believe it takes more for like sized women. But only base this on statements from sleeping bag manufacturers, as some rate them differently for women. Level of activity will make a big difference as well. Back when doing afternoon slalom practice, a pair of neoprene shorts over polypro and short sleeve slash jacket went a long way. Wind is a big factor to consider also, some runs are more protected and some days winder.

When in doubt, I'll error in too much instead of the other way. A quick dunking to cool down is easier than stopping to add more, and you still have the option to remove something. And as said, unzipping a couple zip-tee tops is a fast and easy way, to cool down without removing too much.
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      nanook
      c

Post by nanook »

thanks - thats some good info~!
      milkman
      C Maven

Post by milkman »

Basically you learn what works for you through experimentation. This is where car thermometers come in handy. I know precisely what to put on if it's 35(F) and that will be different than if it's 42(F).