Footwear for OC's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dixie_boater
C Guru

Footwear for OC's

Post by dixie_boater »

I am in the market for new booties and would like to know which booties are most favored by the open boaters on this forum. I have looked at the NRS, Teva and Chota product lines and am currently leaning towards the Chota booties with a felt sole.

My biggest complaint with most of the river shoes I've worn recently is the soles are not very sticky and the toes don't work well with foot pegs. I have a pair of Teva Neutrons and they do a poor job of padding my toes even with rodeo socks. The soles are thin and it is easy to get a stone bruise. My ankle-high Warmers are the same in that they lack a good toe and the soles are thin. Yesterday I wore them with both the rodeo socks and a pair of thin hiking socks to see if the extra padding would help with the discomfort. They felt better with the extra layer, but there must be something more comfortable.

I have owned booties with an all-felt sole that provided excellent traction and good toe padding. They are no longer available through the outfitters I frequent so I've turned to the internet to search for the best booties to fit my needs. NRS quit selling a all-felt sole bootie with a mid-calf height upper. They looked the most like the booties I used to buy. The Chota booties are the closest to the discontinued NRS booties I've seen yet.

I would like to know what brands are most favored and whether you bought them at a retail store or on the internet.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I've got a pair of Technica water shoes and love them. They are more of a tennis type shoe as opposed to a soft sock type water shoe. They have neoprene uppers and plenty of drainage. They are nice and stiff and give good support in and out of my boat. Nike also makes a real nice water shoe. As far as internet or retail, buy retail and support local (small) business. You can get service and try them on at a retail shop. Keep small business in business.
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

I have a pairr of Whites booties for play and Teva Avatar for creeks (the creeks around here involve a lot of hiking and climbing in pretty remote canyons...). The Avatar is super good for walking. I hiked in it quiite a bit on my last trip onn the Smoky River. It has some velcro coming off tthough. Also, in C1, if the saddle is super low (say less than 5 inch), they are quite bulky.

I found 5.10s to wear quickly andd they never lasted mmore than a season without needing substantial repair. The soles wear awaay in a feew weeks...

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
dixie_boater
C Guru

Thanks for the responses

Post by dixie_boater »

cdcboat,

I would prefer to buy from the local outfitters as I know how important it is to support them. Maybe I can get them to order the booties if they aren't in stock or a regularly stocked item. I will look for the Technicas. They sound very good for open boating.

Jan,

Are the White's booties made by White's Diving? I haven't ever seen those in the SE US. BY the way I really enjoyed the pics of your Smoky river trip. That was a great trip! I'll check out the Avatars too!
Drew W.
Pain Boater

Post by Drew W. »

I've got a pair of the warmers Delta II booties, and they're pretty comfortable (if a little bulky) they've got pretty thick soles, walking around on rocks hasn't bothered me yet, and so long as the rocks aren't covered in mud or slimey moss they have decent traction
They've got a neoprene upper with rubber sole and toe-cap, and fasten on with a zipper down the upper and two velcro straps at the ankles so chances of them being sucked off your feet are pretty slim
I don't know how they are with footpegs in an OC 'cause I always jam my feet flat under the peg rather than vertical against it, but for that purpose they seem to work fine
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

I have a pair of NRS attack shoes that work great for me. They a have a pretty low profile but a lot of support especially with the extra firm foot bed
one blade one LOVE
JimP

OC - NRS Workboots

Post by JimP »

Not felt soled but protect the toes well and great for tough terrain. To big for most decked boats.

Post by Guest »

NRS Workboots - evertything but the felt sole.
mrussell
c

Post by mrussell »

I've been looking for boots recently too. I liked the NRS Attack boots a lot. The extra insoles are really nice. The toes are preformed such that they curl up and would work well if you sit with you toes curled under your feet. However I point my toes back and they dug into the back of my ankle and I couldn't wear them. The Lotus Play Boot doesn't have a curled up toe and works better if you point your toes back. They seem to be well made, but it's hard to part with $100. I think the NRS Kickers give you the most shoe for the money and there's a model with felt soles.
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Kickers are my choice. If you are paddling C1 just cut the velcro straps off as they will contribute to foot numbness, the ankle shock-cord is enough to keep them on. My lates pair is getting a little thin on the top of the foot (neo only) and I'm thinking of coating it with tool dip.
dixie_boater
C Guru

Thanks for all the replies!

Post by dixie_boater »

I appreciate all the great feedback on what river shoes work for you and which don't. I forgot that everyone puts their toes in different positions on the foot pegs. Some like them curled back under their feet. Others have them pointed back and some put their toes under the pegs. I never thought to mention I point my toes back when I made an inquiry about shoes for OC's. The NRS Attacks work for montana c-1, but don't work for mrussell because he points his toes back. Good stuff to know. I like the firm foot bed for scouting and portages.

I liked everything about the felt sole NRS Kickers except that they are low cut. Several of you like them so I'll reconsider 'em. The price is good. The Nike and Tecnica shoes are a little pricey at $60 to $80 US (MSRP), but I want to be as a comfortable as possible. The NRS Work boots have good looking, strong toes and folks here confirmed they work for them. Shame they don't offer those with at least a felt sole insert.

Many thanks to everyone for helping me to make a decision on new shoes. I believe others may have benefitted from this thread too. The C-forum is the best place I've found to discuss C-boating in all it's forms. We have a great resource here and Sir Adam deserves praise for all his hard work in keeping up a great website!

And if any of you ever come to the SE US and would like to paddle Sect. IV of the Chattooga let me know. I'd be glad to take you down my "home" river.

Michael
ed leahy

Post by ed leahy »

I just wear an old pair of running shoes with neoprene socks. This gives me good sole and toe protection and decent traction. the socks keep the sand away from my feet.
Matt Johnson
C Boater

Post by Matt Johnson »

I have the NRS workboot and they work well, i would also suggest a pair of converse all stars because they are cheap, you can get them any where and they are tough and will last along time.

Matt