Mitchell Wood Shafts vs Carbon

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kneeler
C Guru

Mitchell Wood Shafts vs Carbon

Post by kneeler »

I have been using a Mitchell Premier with a wood shaft for 3 years and just purchased a Premier with a Carbon Shaft. Can anyone tell me about the difference in the strength of the shaft?
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

Their first generation carbon shafts were extremely stiff. Later ones have a bit more flex but I still prefer wood so I don't totally kill my aching shoulders (from years of abuse using a 1st generation shaft). Bottom line the wood flexes quite a bit more but you'll get a bit more of a workout with the extra couple of ounces. Dave's newer shafts do flex but not enough for my taste.
pjc
Open Boat/Open Mind
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

You asked about strength not flex, although they are related a bit. I have never broken a Mitchell shaft but I have severely abused the blades. One great thing about Mitchell. They will rebuild your broken paddles for a very reasonable price and do a great job of it. I have always used Mitchells as my whitewater paddle of choice and their Premier is my slalom paddle of choice. Good luck with it and many years of paddling. pjc
Open Boat/Open Mind
kneeler
C Guru

Thanks for the info

Post by kneeler »

Thanks for the info. All very informative.
Ken D
c

Post by Ken D »

I also have been using Mitchell Premier paddles for quite a while now. I started with an all wood straight blade then moved to a wood shaft carbon curved blade and also have an all carbon curved blade.

As NEOC Slalom Rules said the wood shaft is a liitle easier on the body. I tend to use my all carbon for racing and the wood/carbon for cruising, which I do a lot more of.

I have never broken a shaft either wood or carbon. I have had the blades repaired many times. They do such a great job on them and at a VERY reasonable price.
Longtrail

Post by Longtrail »

I use a Carbon Shaft/Wood Blade Premier and i love it, though it does stress my shoulders some.

I broke the shaft a few months back, snapped it in two when i hit a rock while setting up to roll. Mitchell put a carbon insert in it and sent it back to me (overnight) for $30. it is a little heavier now, but it is actually stronger in that area because of the extra carbon.

Peggy told me that when a carbon shaft breaks it generally snaps. It will not take a lot of wear and tear that a wood shaft wood.

I have had my paddle for about 3 years and have had the blade repaired once, they did a great job and it came back looking like new.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Surprised at comments. I have a Mitchell with carbon shaft, a Clinch River with carbon/Kevlar shaft, and a Clinch River with wood shaft. All three have wood core curved blades and are 61" to 62". The Mitchell is by far the most flexible of the three, the carbon/Kevlar Clinch is intermediate, and the wood shaft Clinch is the stiffest. I have a number of wooden paddles, some home-made, and the only one which is comparable to the carbon shaft Mitchell in flexibility is one I made with a solid ash shaft.

So, I don't see how others are finding wood more flexible or easier on the shoulders than the Mitchell carbon shaft. My Mitchell is so flexible in both the shaft and the blade that even if I hook a rock hard by mistake, the Mitchell will just flex and pop loose.