2004 USFKA Team Trials Results (c1, oc1)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

2004 USFKA Team Trials Results (c1, oc1)

Post by CosmikDebris »

Men's C1 - Congrats to Joe and Seth for whippin' butt and making the 2004 Team. These guys made the kayaker's look lame.

1. Joe Stumpfel - 399.75
2. Seth Chapelle - 333
3. Glen Werner - 227.5
4. Andrew Bell - 181.125
5. Craig Smerda - 94.5
6. Will Lyons
7. Eli Helbert
8. Kenny
9. Teal Fyklen
10. Gary Mullins

Men's OC1 - I forgot the scores for these guys and couldn't find them posted on the internet. Craig and Eli are going to Australia on the 2004 team. Congrats guys.

1. Craig Smerda
2. Eli Helbert
3. Teal Fykien
4. Andrew Bell
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

I bow to you Oh Great Smerda! Lets here the details on your rides (the odds and ends) especially the odds. pjc
Open Boat/Open Mind
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

...my C1 final rides would have been better except I was having a little issue with a rubber chicken... hee hee.
Bill W.

Post by Bill W. »

Hey Craig, did you happen to get a good look at those Fluid Flirts? Does the plastic seem decent? Do the edges look like a handfull? Did it seem fast or slow on the wave?

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I'm close to buying one of these sight unseen and I'm looking for any feedback I can find. The large ones finally made it to North America, they look good on paper, just wish I could see one.

Congrats on the top 5 finish, does this mean you're on the US team?
Drew W.
Pain Boater

Post by Drew W. »

I saw one of the flirts at a pool session up in maryland, it looked pretty solid, can't say much about how it handles though since it was outfitted as a kayak
Remoteproductions
Pain Boater

Congrats!!!!!!!

Post by Remoteproductions »

Way to represent guys! Glad to see that it was all true open boaters taking the top spots. Please post some pics if you've got any. BOB
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

From what I saw the Flirt (s,m,l) looks like an excellent conversion boat. Joe and Seth where really whoopin' it up at the Hole Brothers feature in them. (At 16 years of age look out for Seth in the future... he is taller than the last time I saw him and has enormous amounts of energy. Joe's C1 finals ride would have put him in the alternate slot for mens pro kayak.. enuff said.) The Flirt seems to be well balanced and has very good volume distribution for a conversion. I think the Twintip is way faster and loose on a wave, but if I where to go out looking for a conversion boat I would put the Flirt in the top three of my list. I don't have any pics from the event but there is plenty of video footage out there from paddlers and there will be a feature on OLN in the near future about the event (hopefully with some c-boating!). I am currently working on some worlds information for my homepage... so stay tuned for that! Rumor has it that the next worlds will be on the Ottawa... so let's see more folks at the next trials from our side of the fence... all the c-boaters had a "good" time.... we even got a token kayaker to hang with us because he saw where the fun was.

Craig
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Well..

Post by PAC »

Saw Seth and Shelia (mom) on the LY this weekend with Seth in his Flirt (small version). And yes the lad can really move that boat around. 8)
The level was 3.5 and he was just ripp'n up it up at swimmers!
Based on his comments and how he was working the hole I'd say its a pretty darn good play boat! That and the fact that I'm getting too old!
He was doing things that would have left my body as road kill! :o
Darn youth! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!