Pump placement for Blackfly?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Pump placement for Blackfly?

Post by Big Al »

For the Blackfly Blackfly owners with pumps:

Placement in bow, stern, carve out of bulkhead
or, what? As u know, the bow and stern sections immediately rise from bulkhead so flat placement not possible.

Thanks,

Big Al
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Re: Pump placement for Blackfly?

Post by Bob Wiggins »

Mine is tied/gorilla taped/contact cemented directly to the hull right behind the back of the saddle (under the airbag). The battery is carved into the bulkhead above my right knee. When I want to get the last of the water out, I either lean back or sit up on the thwart.

Edit: just reread and realized you were talking about blackfly blckflys, not blackflys in general. My post was for the ion. However, I've seen the blackflys set up the same way, and after seeing one, I think that the hull in the center is similar enough that the same set up should work.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Al when I demoed the one I put it behind the pedestal & the battery in front. I think Mikey B did the same with his. Putting it there might make it easier to swap out for another boat if need be. IMHO.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

... and make sure that the outlet of the hose is above the waterline... :wink: :lol: ...

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Yeah Paul is correct...pump right behind saddle and battery up front in mine. Seems to work fine when there's juice in the battery. Would make it easy to swap between boats.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Even tho pump is on the rise of the stern? Missin out on lots of water, no?

Big Al
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

No- the hull immediately behind the saddle is still flat, the same as under the saddle. It works fine. Remember- you can always just lean back a little.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

On my B-Fly, the hull in the back of the saddle immediately rises. It is not flat.

Big Al
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

Hmmmmmm..... That's not what I thought i saw in the one I got to sit in. In that case, the bet course would probably be to pull the saddle out and cut an opening for it. If thr curve is enough to worry you. Good luck.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Al, the stern does rise, but not that much...leaning back gets it...but it always has a bit in the boat. Still would in the middle though too. I guess middle ideal especially if you are leaving it permanent but the stern placement works fine and if you wire it with disconnects is easy to pull for other boats. But realistically you probably only pulll pump for repair replacement scenarios anyways :D
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Yep... I have trouble imagining how well running the tube from under the center if the saddle would work. I guess it'll be put in the stern.

On another note:

It's amazing how relevant this site can be!

Big Al