carry your own canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

riverharlot
C Boater

carry your own canoe

Post by riverharlot »

I need input on how best to carry my outrage. I'm 5' and have a great red AWD tire wagon that will carry it most places. But there are times the wagon does not work and I have to figure out how to carry it. I found a mad river 40" ash yoke. Are there any other options?
I am squeamish about taking out a thwart and putting one in - can I find something that I can carry in the boat and use when I have to tote it?
I was surfing the net and found something once that had some kind of yoke and a strap for your forehead to displace the weight. Lost the link so can't go back and look at it.

sar
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
bkebs
Pain Boater

Re: carry your own canoe

Post by bkebs »

I just let my saddle rest on my head and walk, but that might not work for you. My wife is 5 foot and 100 pounds. The only way I could see her moving my Outrage would be with a set of portage wheels. You may look into that option.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Ditto. I rest the flat seating surface of the pedestal on one shoulder and if the pedestal is placed so as to trim the canoe neutrally it is pretty well balanced that way.

It is about as comfortable as any detachable portage yoke, in my opinion.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Go check out our webbing yoke. http://mohawkcanoes.com/accessories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Had never seen the webbing yoke as advertised via your link. Also, was totally floored by the "dog ballast"! Hilarious; honestly made me laugh out loud!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The webbing yoke really helps us shorter folks carry boats over 9 feet. I have figured out thru buying many and carrying many boats that at 5 ft 3 1/2 inches 11 feet is as long as I can carry without dragging the boat on mountain trails we have in the SE for put in/take outs. There are some take apart carts that help if the trail is not too rough and would fit in front of the saddle in an Outrage.
riverharlot
C Boater

Post by riverharlot »

Thanks for the input. I tried the saddle on my neck and my friend was there and caught me before I fell over. I'm trying to stay away from putting any more weight in the boat if I can help it. The mohawk strap looks like a good option. I have a lil red wagon that works great for any terrrain that will allow big fat tires but there are times when its just a matter of getting it a shorter distance on terrain that is not good for dragging.
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Try the saddle thing again. If you balance it right, you shouldn't fall over. The simplicity makes it worth the effort.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Wendy wrote:... without dragging the boat on mountain trails we have in the SE for put in/take outs. There are some take apart carts that help...
I'm 6' 180lbs, but despite the difference in our physical size, I have a very similar issue because I have to be careful with my back (had one surgery, don't want another).

I can carry the boat on my head/shoulders for short distances, and I made a lightweight little cart that helps in some situations, but sometimes I have to just drag it. I hate the wear and tear on the hull, but I'd much rather damage it than my spine. Also, dragging it is better than not boating at all -- so dragging is not such a bad option.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Here's an idea I've thought about but not implemented - a scrap of plastic (old hull, piece of garbage can, whatever) that you can strap/tie to the hull as a sacrificial piece to protect your hull when you drag the boat. Slide it up under the bags when you are paddling (or just leave it on for those ELF runs :-) )
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I'm sure that you have considered this but perhaps you need to consider getting a lighter canoe. Kaz (Millbrook Canoes) could put together a sweet, very light composite canoe for you or there are used composite boats for sale every now and again.

Alternately, you could just get some new padding partners who will carry your boat for you :D

As far as resting the saddle on your head/shoulders, get someone (or two) to help you try different positioning and methods to see if one of them could work for you. Sometimes adding a bit of weight (a paddle, water bottle ect.) bow or stern to change the trim relative to the carry point can make things easier.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Lots of good suggestions.

I'll add my list of Carrying Options

removable traditional yoke
fixed yoke, installed 'stern pointing' behind a solo saddle (head goes aft of the saddle)
removable webbing yoke
saddle on head
saddle on one shoulder
saddle on one shoulder and one thigh strap as a tumpline (this works really well for me with my viper)
grab loop or handle and drag
wheeled cart
friend or friends
gunwale on one shoulder like the kayaker do
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
laeljon
c

Post by laeljon »

I'm 5' and had an Outrage for 8yrs. I just carried it with saddle on my head, up and out of the Rio Grande. I have carried a 16 footer up 600 ft out of the Rio....Now I have a light weight Spark, but still heavier than my C1....