Will convert a Prijon Cyclone

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlimmySlim

Will convert a Prijon Cyclone

Post by SlimmySlim »

I'm a newbie converter and have read up on the many projects I can find (which are scattered helterskelter, idea: have a forum specific to conversion?).

The cyclone is an older boat (cheap price was a factor). While it's a bit on the narrow side, 24 or 24.5 inches, it will have good hull speed due to its length, 10 ft 6 in, and it will be used for river running.

What should I consider given that Prijon's are represented as having thicker plastic and that there is no existing anti-oil canning structure/rod? Should I still install a rail/stiffener or just foam the hades out of it?

Additional specs: I'm 150lbs, 6 foot and have size 10 feet. under the current running the length of the boat.

Thanks for your thoughts, I look forward to taking the completed project on the Selway late summer.

Craig
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Re: Will convert a Prijon Cyclone

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Backbone is important if you are installing a strap setup.... are you planning on using just a foal bulkhead setup? I found that difficult to either stay in, or get out of without a seatbelt or something holding you in (which is what I settled on)....

Just make sure you can get out in a hurry if something goes wrong :o

Patrick
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

"Site Navigation - Outfitting" will take you here:

http://cboats.net/outfitting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a tremendous amount of information including step by step conversions using different materials.
Keep the C!
Adam
SlimmySlim

Post by SlimmySlim »

I might consider doing a soft d-ring glued to the hull instead of using a rail and a backstrap to hold me into the thigh cups and just leave any oil-canning up to the river god(s). This is a bulkhead-style boat, so no foam pillar to utilize with a rail, thus my questions.
The Outfitting section has a fair amount of info, but most of it is not related to home-brewed C1 saddle creation (OC1, throwbags, factory kits, etc...). I did a search on convert and conversion in the main forum, but the result is "too many results" so my only option is manually searching each page of topics.
Thanks for any advice or links and I recognize this is prolly a volunteer-driven site so I appreciate everyones' efforts.
Craig
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Dont bother with a rail since there's nothing to attach it to. Make your saddle so it extends about a foot past both ends of the cockpit. Put a bulkhead at the front to keep your knees from wobbling around. Poke a length of pvc pipe through the saddle and use that as the lower anchor for your thigh straps. You may need to glue the saddle in place or add brackets bolted to the deck to keep it from moving around. Gluing anchors to polyethelene doesn't usually work that well. G-flex might, but never tried it.

-Bob
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

Where are you located? I bet you might find someone near you willin to help.

Bob
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i would make a rail with some wings to the sides, so you can bolt it to the side of the hull.
a glued foam saddle will come loose after a few trips or one nasty swim, whichever comes first, then you'll have to duct tape it, and so on and so forth.
Larry
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Check out RiverKen's tome - there are a lot of different options there for outfitting...
Keep the C!
Adam
SlimmySlim

Post by SlimmySlim »

Thanks everyone.

I'm in Idaho by NRS. Lots of rafters here (I got one), but cboaters are few and far between (if you are wondering Boise and Missoula are 5 hours away from me). A long time ago I used to work for NOC and I thought I'd get back to my southeastern roots.

I'll probably create some kind of foam pillar system, add a saddle/dashboard, use a soft d-ring and try it out. If I need I can pull it and add a rail system (unless I get lots of negative feedback).

Below are some links that were helpful in case anyone wants to make a conversion web link topic or add some to the Outfitting section. I assume you all get peppered with these question pretty regularly.

Search Google for:
cboats.net/cforum AND convert OR conversion

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... Outfitting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://playak.com/index.php?option=com_ ... 2:Articles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/channel/new ... te=__12039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://store.jacksonkayak.com/c1-outfitting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Craig