River Runner

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

wayne

River Runner

Post by wayne »

I am looking at getting a boat for river running, but I don't know what one? I am after something that I can play in a bit as well as run rivers in. I am about 80kg and about 180cm tall. I am thinking along the lines of Hoss, H3, Blaze kind of boats. Has anyone tryed any of them and what do you think of them? I am looking at getting rid of my other C1's as my car shed is getting too small and I can't paddle them all at once anyway. Any idea's would be great.

Thanks Wayne.
Perception AMP
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

The H3255 is an awsome river runner. I paddle the H3 on the hard (for me) runs where survival is an issue. It will get you home in one piece.
It's fun to surf waves and bounce around in holes in, but it is a BIG boat.
I guess it's all in your comfort level and ability because i know of kayakers that run class 6 stuff in the same boat i use for "play" (Bliss-stick Flip-stick).
I am haired out on class four in that thing :o
We all need more than one boat! But if i could only have one, it would be the H3.

By the way...
What do you mean by "play in a bit"?
For me, it's ALL play!
Larry
wayne

Post by wayne »

I spend most my time running rivers, which don't have may play waves/holes. So that is why I am thinking of a river runner that can still play if we find something worth playing in. I normaly run as high as grade 3 and spend too much time trying to keep my boats from subbing out, thats why I am looking for more of a river runner. But I am still after a boat that can surf good and spin. How do you find the cockpit size?

Wayne
Perception AMP
kneeler
C Guru

Nitro

Post by kneeler »

The new Riot Nitro and the Turbo look pretty sweet. I'm looking to convert one of those. The cockpits are bigger in the new Riot boats.

They are fast, run lines well, and can throw down. Some of the river runners you mentioned are more on the river runner side and less on the play side. I think the Nitro/Turbo is a better hybrid of running and playing.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Wayne

I agree with kneeler ..... Those Riots do look good for more play. The h3 is definitely on the river runner end of the scale. Big, but not a pig. Surfs and spins good, but absolutely no ends :wink: (sometimes this is good, yes?).
This is the boat that gives you the confidence to run harder stuff.
The cockpit is fine, I'm 6'1 175-180lbs. I had to trim a little plastic but you can't even tell.
Larry
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Hello Wayne,

What boats are you currently paddling (the ones you are not completely satisfied with as river runners)? That might help establish a perspective on your requirements.

There are some good boats available (Robson Finkenmeister, Pyranha H3 255) that might work well for you. These two boats are especially good at staying on the surface for maintaining control in difficult water. They also surf well.

Bruce
wayne

Post by wayne »

I mostly use my AMP for river running, but find it subs out too much and I spend just as much energy trying to keep in to top of the water as what I do paddling the rapid, some times more. I am thinking about a I:3 or inazone, but don't really know as there are so many different boats out there now day's.
Perception AMP
Warren

river play...

Post by Warren »

I'm not much of a play boater, but I get a kick out of a boat that enders, bow stalls, etc. I'd probably consider an X or Mr. Clean (cheap and fairly boyant compared to the Amp I'd imagine). Something to keep in mind with the high volume river runners meant to run creeks as well: when I get out in my Session + I'm much more motivated to play then when in my creek boat. My creek boat is comfy on rivers but makes for too lazy a trip to take full advantage of the river. Could be different for you. At my 185 lbs. I think the session+ is a hades of a boat and don't hesitate to paddle it anywhere that's not super steep or creeky. The X, which I paddled for a while, is very similar cruising but more stable and less likely to ender unintentionally. Pick up a crosslink X cheap and it should last a long long time.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Hello Wayne,
Sounds like you'd be making a mistake getting another low volume boat and converting to a C1, IF you are interested in a 'river runner', that is, a boat that will keep you on the surface, help get you through more difficult rapids, progressing into more difficult Class 4 water :-? .
The I3 or Inazone are smaller kayaks and probably would make relatively poor river runners as C1's. That is not to say you couldn't get down a Class 4 in an I3 and look like a stud 8) , but you'd be putting in a lot more effort and taking a substantially greater chance of getting thrashed.
What you want to do on the river and what image you want to project will determine what boat is right for you.
Hope that helps.
SYOTR,
Bruce
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Hey Wayne,
What about an Atom?
Larry