C1 blades, what do people recommend?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bearboater
CBoats Addict

schlegal

Post by bearboater »

anyone have a schlegal, and if so, how do they hold up to rocks, didnt appear to have much of a rock guard. and is the feel of the duralen comparable to the werner glass, or mitchell carbon in stiffness? well thanks
-isaac
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

pete I love my waterstick I have the Zen carbon version of the Karma, great paddle love the blade shape, I hope sombody picks it up otherwise I am going to be buying up watersticks on e-bay HA HA
P.S. is this pete that went to Oc nationals this summer?
Sean
one blade one LOVE
bearboater
CBoats Addict

missoula boater

Post by bearboater »

sean, fellow missoulian, we should paddle. when ever you are going to go out, give a post, or a ring, so we could go. did you used to work at the trailhead, and have a esquif detonator/nitro?
-isaac
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Schlegal

Post by Sir Adam »

Depends which model...I haven't seen a new Schlegal in years, but they used to (10+ years ago) have a nice line of sticks. My all-time favorite paddle (just retired last year after 10 years...and I'll still use it in flat water) was their FGC Carbon paddle with an aluminum tip insert. I still have yet to find a paddle as light, and it certainly held up for me (albeit with a little help after a few years). At that time they also had heavier sticks that a lot of folks around here (Adirondacks, NY) used as guide sticks for rafts. They weren't that great and tended to bend and stay bent. If you've found a new website for Schlegal please let me know-I'd like to see what they're producing these days (in the past I've only seen 1 WW paddle on their site, and it didn't look that great compared to what they used to produce).

P.S. My Rough Stuff is much more durable, almost as light, but doesn't have as nice water feel.
Keep the C!
Adam
Roy
C Guru

Werner Bandit Carbon & Glass

Post by Roy »

I have one in carbon and many of my friends have the glass ones. It seems the problem with these paddles, regardless of material, is that the blades simply wear away. Much faster than paddles with more beef in the tip (e.g., Mitchell, Viking). I think the carbon and glass blades wear at about the same rate.

I have not seem any problematic delamination.

I think the root of the problem is that Warner is basically a kayak paddle company and the Bandit blade is basically a canoe-cut kayak blade. The blade looks just like the old-school Warner kayak blades (with a different cut) and the lay-up looks like it came from kayak-thinking.

Obviously, we place different demands on paddles than kayakers.

Still, I find Bandits in both carbon and glass to be fine feeling paddles and they are reasonably priced. They just need to be retired or patched more frequently than I'd like.
pete witucki
c

Post by pete witucki »

Sean-
Sorry different Pete.. you're thinking of Pete Steffes, I believe. Met him a couple months ago at Wausau- we had a great C-2 run! Happy paddling!
-pete witucki
K-2-C
bearboater
CBoats Addict

schlegal site

Post by bearboater »

well, they have paddle-people.com, but it only has a newer duralen paddle, i believe its the same shape as the older models, which were my intent on finding. however, the new blade doesnt look as stiff, or spooned as the paddles i have seen in the past. looks like more and more that i think about it, im getting closer, and closer to a mitchell. well, have to wait for the new boat, to get an idea of length.

-isaac
ZLSeth

Woody Custom Paddles

Post by ZLSeth »

Woody Custom Paddles is in the process of making their first C-1, bent grip paddle.

They make 100% wood-core, hand made custom paddles.

http://www.woodycustompaddles.com

The C-1 paddle is not in the list of products, but you cand talk to them about making you one.
c14life
c

Post by c14life »

I have the Werner Bandit. I have the fiberglass. If you paddle a lot where it is rocky then get the carbon. The carbon is more durable but it is hefty on the pocketbook. My fiberglass has held up nicely. Just make sure that you get a small paddle in length.
"Most do it on their butt, few do it on their knees." - Sean(me)
Bernie
C Guru

paddles

Post by Bernie »

The Rough Stuff paddles are made in Ireland and may be more economical for you. They have a crank shaft (bent shaft) made of titanium with prepreg carbon blade and a straight shaft version. I like it for playboating because the blade is a little smaller than most river running designs.
If interested let me know and I will get you the e-mail/phone# for Mark Downey the manufacturer.
SlickStick
C Boater

Post by SlickStick »

Thanks for the replies.
I just bought a carbon double dutch blade (which is based on the mitchell), and it is great.

Thanks again for the help,
Peter