Finky Owners

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bearboater
CBoats Addict

tall

Post by bearboater »

im about 6'1+1/2", and long armed, im not sure if that makesa difference.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Bearboater,
It IS more a matter of personal preference. You've got to get the feel of the new boat and the 60 inch paddle together. I am 5' 9" and comfortably use a 58" paddle :) . Taller C1ers have used shorter paddles than mine (Larry Horne?). So it is what FEELS best to you. Do you want better leverage (longer paddle) or be more responsive and save your shoulders (shorter paddle)? There is no set formula about moving from an OC1 to a C1, other than the paddle tends to shorten up.
SYOTR,
Bruce
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

... I paddle 53.5'' in C1 and 57'' in OC. I am 6'1'' tall and paddle a saddle of 4.5'' in (creek) C1 and about 7.5'' in OC. You need the extra length in OC mainly to make cross forwards easy.

Shorter paddles are way easier on my shoulders and they are way quicker to switch from on to offside etc.

Cheers, Jan

Ps: 50 mm Rain on Fri night, 50+ to come this night :-)
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i'm with jan, 55"-56" shaft, i also like a small blade. i like the easy gears. spin like lance armstrong.

hey jan, if W gets re-elected i'm moving up to canada... are you gonna show me the lines?
Larry
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Yeah Larry, no prob. You have to move to Whistler (can u imagine to have something like 10 classical creek runs within a few km of town?) or Sqamish though. At the moment I don't have a place to couch surf there.
And the creeking is better than you can imagine :-)

Only problem: if you would live there, you would a) not work much and b) have to show me the lines...

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

(a). thats just what i need..... (b). o.k. I'll probe.
Larry
bearboater
CBoats Addict

thanksgiving

Post by bearboater »

Is the transition from a oc1 to a c1 rough? i imagine there will be a good learning stretch while the water is low, and the pool is open, hopefully ill be ready comespring.
boat wont be here, until thanksgiving.
-isaac
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I went from a Probe 11 to a Cascade. It was weird that while the Probe liked to be on it's side :-? , the Cascade wanted to be flat (upside down or rightside up).

Rolling is easier in C-1.

NO BAILING!!!! :D :D

It's warmer in C-1 :P

The enders aren't as cool in C-1 :(

Nobody is impressed when you roll a C-1. Folks cheer when you roll OC-1 (especially when you screw up, flip & roll in a slalom race :roll: ).

C-1's are generally lighter. This makes 'em more responsive & easier to carry.

You can fit more C-1's on the rack.

NO BAILING!!!! :D :D
bearboater
CBoats Addict

outfitting

Post by bearboater »

i read in earlier threads, how people had discussed taking out the bulkhead, and installing a set opf thigh straps. has anyoner actually done this yet, or has everyone tried and found acceptable the bulkhead. another question, i read earlier, in perhaps the same thread about storage for the fink, and itwas mentioned that one can remove the bulkhead. well, as far as a 1400 pelican case goes, is there enough space to fit that behind the bulkhead, or the stern(more of a squeeze perhaps). If anyone has had any success with that, please post, eh. thanks
soon c-1er
the water will soon be too cold for open boating

41 air temp, 34 water temp river last week, not stopping me.

-isaac
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

issac
It's never too cold to paddle an OC-1, you just gotta get a dry suit, I am happy your getting a fink, should be a blast! Maybe you'll let me paddle it! Besides we live in Montana it's always cold here!!!
Sean
one blade one LOVE
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Yes Dry suit :lol: Hi sean
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Bearboater,
I am pretty sure Don Williams took out the bulkhead of his Fink and replaced it with a standard saddle and thigh straps. He's a New England boater. This would definitely improve access to the bow for storage. Ask him if he's happy with the change he made.
SYOTR,
BRuce
bearboater
CBoats Addict

true,

Post by bearboater »

normally it is always cold here, yet now the tides have turned so to speak, i wish i didnt have school to go to. if i didnt today would have been fantastic. it was 60 something, in november...
sean you paddling this weekend?
if so post, or pm me.
thanks
-isaac
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

yeah Issac
I am boating this weekend, however, I am boating the rio Toro and the Pacuare in Costa Rica. SOrry we can't hook up this weekend, don't let the cold get to you. have fun on the Gorge :lol:
Sean
one blade one LOVE
bearboater
CBoats Addict

costa rica

Post by bearboater »

ill be near the paquare area of Costa Rica in the spring with an ecology project with some of my schoolmates. thats sweet dude, i hope you have a rockin time. no dry suit needed there eh...
it seems like time always takes longer if youre waiting for something.
cheers
-isaac