Semi rigid Canoe Thigh Straps

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Fauvel
c

Semi rigid Canoe Thigh Straps

Post by Fauvel »

I have BlackFeather brand canoe thigh straps that have lexan pieces inserted to make them semi-rigid.
Anyone know where to find those or similar (semi-rigid) thigh straps. I did search the web and
found none.

Are these not in vogue anymore? Any reason?

I have been planning to make my new straps myself but is is a fairly complicated project and
i rarely have ti for such things. November would be a good time though.

Sylvain in Montreal
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Semi rigid Canoe Thigh Straps

Post by pblanc »

I have made semi-rigid thigh straps using 2" wide tubular nylon webbing and Lexan plastic which I bought in the form of a small sheet at Manards. I cut strips of Lexan about 1 3/4" wide or so and warmed the strips with a heat gun until they became a bit pliable. If you try this go slowly as it is easy to over warm them. Once pliable the Lexan can be shaped by bending it over your thigh.

Insert the shaped Lexan strip inside the tubular nylon webbing.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

pblanc wrote:I have made semi-rigid thigh straps using 2" wide tubular nylon webbing and Lexan plastic which I bought in the form of a small sheet at Manards. I cut strips of Lexan about 1 3/4" wide or so and warmed the strips with a heat gun until they became a bit pliable. If you try this go slowly as it is easy to over warm them. Once pliable the Lexan can be shaped by bending it over your thigh.

Insert the shaped Lexan strip inside the tubular nylon webbing.
Plus rep (+1) for this suggestion! Make this a permanent feature under the outfitting tab!
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

One of my screwy ideas..... Single ply Nylon or polyester straps can be stiffened with a variety of "resins".

I use Seamgrip, a polyurethane that penetrates fabric really well. Once it dries, it ain't comin' out. So far, I have used it only to reinforce the ends of straps for grommeting and use as thigh straps. But it's conceivable that an entire strap could be "set" in the form you want for thigh straps. Yet the strap won't be as stiff as it would be if, say, West 105/205 were used. (I wouldn't try G-flex. I don't think it will soak in well enough, though it would provide a bit of flex compared to 105/205.)

You could put polyethylene or wax paper over your thighs, set the straps, and then apply the Seamgrip. Probably would take a tube per strap. If you don't want to kneel there until the Seamgrip sets, it might be accelerated with cotol.

Kids, don't try this except with good ventilation.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I use snow board straps in my C1.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Fauvel
c

Post by Fauvel »

I was planning to do as KNeal. Make my own. I will probably also make
them longer than the old ones (i am 6`1`and use a high saddle). I just
hoped someone still sold some all made. Guess i am lazy. Good winter
project though, before ski season i mean.

Stiffening straps with epoxy or urethane might be interresting but it would
require lots of trial and error. I might experiment a bit. I plan to have
both end of the straps detachable so i can try several and allow to
fit the straps to different size paddlers. My saddle is also made to allow
lowering it for others.

If you see someone still selling semi rigid straps i am still interrested.

Thanks for the advices.

Sylvain in Montreal (saw a few snowflakes this morning)
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I have the same rigid BF straps.

For none rigid straps like Northwater straps, I attach buggie cord to keep the straps in the open position. For an example, look at this image from Mike Yee's site.
http://www.mikeyeeoutfitting.com/o_gall ... ntom-4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;