The Esquif Lèdge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

It is true, Matt. Engaging the downstream edge will produce a snap turn. Try it in really mild water at first.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Cool, thanks, I will try it. I guess if you try in fast water and aren't ready for it, it's the ejection button? :)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Yeah, trying that for the first time in a Zoom, aggressively, in quick water = eject!

At least it gives the butt boaters something to giggle about. :)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Todhunter wrote:Cool, thanks, I will try it. I guess if you try in fast water and aren't ready for it, it's the ejection button? :)
A bright red Ocoee once bucked me on really fast water when I slammed into an eddy while trying to learn "the ways of the outside edge"... literally tossed me right out of the boat.

My buddy had a good laugh at least. :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

It's not something I have practiced much... Frankly it scares me a little when I do it on accident. But if one were to be trying to do this, I guess it would be best to do a high-brace/static draw on the inside of the turn, lean to the inside just a touch, and push down on that outside knee?

Shep
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Shep wrote:It's not something I have practiced much... Frankly it scares me a little when I do it on accident. But if one were to be trying to do this, I guess it would be best to do a high-brace/static draw on the inside of the turn, lean to the inside just a touch, and push down on that outside knee?

Shep
I typically start by leaning into the turn (or come in dead flat), then progressively engage the outside (downstream) edge to make the boat carve the turn and then bring it back to the nuetral position. Generally the boat will pivot right around the paddle if you get it right. It's not necessarily faster or even better to do this... but it is a heckuva' lotta fun when you get it to really *snap*

In the video clip I didn't have my t-grip up very high or did I put much effort into it at all... the boat just whipped around by using the fast moving dowstream water and engaging the edge in the calmer eddy water.

:D

Edit... At the 1:24 and again at the 2:04 marks of this you can see Teal use an outside edge to turn while testing the prototype.
http://vimeo.com/5213136
karstmaninaboat
Pain Boater

Post by karstmaninaboat »

I have found engaging the outside edge is useful for catching real small eddies.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Guess who got their L'Edge a day earlier than planned and just got off the river after paddling it? You get one guess... hint, look left.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Craig Smerda wrote:
Shep wrote:It's not something I have practiced much... Frankly it scares me a little when I do it on accident. But if one were to be trying to do this, I guess it would be best to do a high-brace/static draw on the inside of the turn, lean to the inside just a touch, and push down on that outside knee?

Shep
I typically start by leaning into the turn (or come in dead flat), then progressively engage the outside (downstream) edge to make the boat carve the turn and then bring it back to the nuetral position. Generally the boat will pivot right around the paddle if you get it right. It's not necessarily faster or even better to do this... but it is a heckuva' lotta fun when you get it to really *snap*

In the video clip I didn't have my t-grip up very high or did I put much effort into it at all... the boat just whipped around by using the fast moving dowstream water and engaging the edge in the calmer eddy water.

:D

Edit... At the 1:24 and again at the 2:04 marks of this you can see Teal use an outside edge to turn while testing the prototype.
http://vimeo.com/5213136
Well, been saying just that - for about 1036 posts... :) all the girls from boater chick class picked it up in about 15 minutes.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Phil... we shan't discuss using upstream edges when making a hard ferry yet... right?

:lol:
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

No, guess not :wink: after all - why shouldn't we start off going downstream, when we want to stay upstream?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

General question- What saddle height are most people running in their Ledges? I raised it an inch and widened mine last night and today it was mucho more comfy and felt like I was sitting better in it. I'm 5'6" so that helped give me some more reach I think. Whats everyone else doing and how tall are you?

Really like the design of the saddle/bulkhead. The two rules of gear; its gotta work and its gotta look cool, and not necessarily in that order. This bulkhead does both. :)
Louie

Post by Louie »

I raised the seat an inch so far, but still feel like my arm pits are on the gunnels, it is so dam stable I am goin at least another inch higher.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Ahem....
Keep the C!
Adam
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:lol: