C-1 for 200lb+ paddlers ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

S8

Post by yarnellboat »

Spent about 15 minutes in a friend's large S8 the other day - 15 minutes was all I could take. And it wasn't just the knees/ankle/feet - the rim was jammed pretty tight against my big, fat quads, that hurt too!

And, even with my quads jammed, my weight was pretty far back - unless I constantly aware of keeping forward, the stern would sink. Yet front surfing on something gentle, I had to struggle to keep the bow from diving.

My next opportunity is to try the higher-volume, less playful Score, hopefully that will fit my legs and my 210lbs a little better.

P.
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

...try the big i3, too. It has a very high cockpit which helps with the thighs.
Dagger has a high cockpit rim, too.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

Hi Pat...

You've gotten lots of recommendations for short boats but hardly any for long boats.

Do NOT be misled into thinking short boats (5, 6, and 7-ft. boats) are your only options. The current thinking (no pun intended) is that these boats represent the "ultimate" in whitewater paddling, but nothing could be farther from the truth.

Short boats represent a particular style of whitewater paddling that is primarily based in 3-dimensional rotation and doing moves in holes and breaking waves. If this is what you're after, then definitely go for a short boat!

On the other hand, if you're looking for faster (and therefore more dynamic) ferries, the ability to surf flatter, faster waves, and (most importantly) significantly greater hull speed, you should consider longer C-1 designs.

Unfortunately, there are no options for long boats in the current manufacturers' lineup, with one notable exception: the Prijon Athlete---which I've not heard of converted to a C-1 but I think would do well.

However, take a look at some composite boats, such as slalom C-1s from the past 20 years and older (but still great) designs like the Millbrook Boats "Wide Ride," the Hornet, the Blackwater, and older plastic boats like the Perception Slasher.

Just be open-minded. Too many paddlers (and alas, too many C-boaters) are quick to trash these designs as "old school" or "hard to turn," but this is uninformed opinion. The fact is that long boats (like short boats) have their strengths and are a blast to paddle.

By the way, I weigh 220lbs., and I'll tell you that at my (our) weight, paddling any boat under 9 feet is analogous to pushing a bulldozer through the water. Short boats---regardless of design---simply don't have the volume to move gracefully through the water.

Scott