Paddles ...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Here's my two cents:
Werner - Good strength, won't break. Will wear down rather quickly if you paddle a lot of low volume creeks. I have an old blue/white curved blade werner that I found and it leaks water into the shaft which is kind of wierd. The blade is 90% duct tape as well, but it still works.
Mitchell - Awesome feel and purchase, but it doesn't hold up. Worse than the Werner in the durabliity because it doesn't just wear down, it breaks. Had it rebuilt once after several months, and it needs it badly again but I don't think I'm going to bother cause I'll just have to keep rebuilding it. Thinking about getting a Clinch River (Bailey Johnson) or maybe a Robson or Galasport? Any advice for a super solid creeking stick that'll hold up to some serious abuse?
Will
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Echo!

Post by NZMatt »

OK, here's my take on paddles:

Aquabound - I've seen too many broken to have a lot of confidence in them. I have an Aquabound 3 piece as a compact backup, but haven't had to use it yet.

Waterstick - I had one of these for a while. Great bite on the water, but absolutely no slice. I sold it when my technique matured and I started using a lot more underwater recoveries.

Ainsworth - if you want a cheap backup paddle, get one of these. Twice the price of a Carlisle, but a far better paddle. Heavy as hades, but durable and slices fairly cleanly. Sold mine to a friend getting started recently since I had other sticks,

Mitchell - I have a flat bladed, all wood Mitchell paddle. I've beat the large steaming pile of dog doo out of it for 3 years and it's still going strong. I did get it refinished last year and a Dynel (?) shaft protector added. I've tried their curve blades too and really liked them - extremely precise, light and strong.

Galasport - I have one of their many designs. I think it's a regular fiberglass shaft and blade. It's my c-boat paddle. Not bad, but I do get some blade flutter at the end of some powerful strokes, especially in funky water.

Echo - My favourite paddle. I have an Echo creeking stick and my wife has one of their C-boat sticks (better blade size for her - she uses it for OC). Can't speak to durability yet, since I've only had it a little while, but it's got super bite, slices clean and is a pleasure to paddle with it. I really like it and you can't beat the price for a custom paddle. Andy is going fulltime into paddle making this year (previously part time teaching), so leadtimes on orders should decrease dramatically. All the wood is from sustainable sources. If you do have a problem, Andy will totally stand behind his product. He's had very few problems so far.

Best recommendation - try if you can. What one will like, another may hate.

Cheers

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I just ordered a Woody from www.woodycustompaddles.com. Sounds like a good blade, Dynel tip instead of Aluminum which I prefer. A bit on the expensive side, but if their C paddle is as good as the K1 paddles sound, I'm excited. The cusomer service is good too. Will post report from or after some good Colorado abuse.
Will

PS do you think we could get large steaming pile of dog doo changed to something a little shorter? Like crap, or crud or something? It's hard to read large steaming pile of dog doo over and over again!
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Language

Post by adamin »

If you don't want to read large steaming pile of dog doo, don't write the word that triggers it...simple, hopefully 8)
Cynthia

Paddles Paddle Paddles

Post by Cynthia »

Ok, so I am new to the site...I posted a question about paddles and then realized there was already a discussion going on in the other room. I have really enjoyed the Mitchell curved blade paddles. Mine have also visited the factory for a little rehab (one should be in the mail tomorrow... in two pieces), but I really like them. Anyway, I would like to try a foam core paddle. I have heard there are European brands out there and have seen the Robson on line, but haven't had the opportunity to try one. Given the number of C boaters around here, I'm not holding my breath that one will be available to demo. Sounds like the Clinch River and GalaSport or Echo might be other options...
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Location?

Post by Sir Adam »

Cynthia-where are you located? There may be a boater (or boaters!) near you, or an Armada being organized near you....
Keep the C!
Adam
bearboater
CBoats Addict

what about...

Post by bearboater »

I noticed thus far in this converxsation, we have left out some other carbon manufacturers: Double Dutch, Caiman, Vadja. has anyone paddled any of these, I was looking at a double dutch, they look decent, and seem to have almost the same blade shape as the mitchell sans the metal guard at the bottom of the blade. I have neither the money or the need for a new paddle, so please do tell if anyone has paddled any of these.
thanks
-isaac