Esquif Factory Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Unscientifically and based on opportunities to paddle each at varying times (owned a Hornet for about a year, been in a Viper two or three times), I'd say the Hornet is faster. They are completely different boats, though. The Hornet I had was a lot lighter than the two Vipers I've been in, too.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

The Hornet is quite fast. Several years ago, I used both it and my Fanatic in a slalom race. The times were within 2 or 3%. The gates were high enough that I could sneak both boats, so that part was not a factor. The race boat was also about 10 lbs lighter.

In flat water, my Cobra is about 4% faster than the Reaktor (I timed a closed course). In whitewater things get a lot more complicated. The Cobra doesn't turn well, is fairly wet, and is very twitchy. Easy water is great, though. :roll:

As an example, in last years Open-boat Nationals, Sam Montague was about 10% faster than I was. In a later race on easier water, I was only about 2 or 3% slower. A really strong paddler could probably kick butt with it - the more agressive you are, the more stable it feels.
Bob P