kids c1 or OC?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Maybe it was this thread, maybe it was just the right time, maybe it was that conversation with a couple of paddlers in the parking lot after Thursday night's paddling session. It was then that I learned that Ricky, who had just opened an outdoor gear consignment shop, just so happened to have a Dancer XS in stock. Hartley, who works for a school that has a bunch of old boats they were trying to sell off, said they had a Dancer XS. Most likely it was all of that . At any rate, by noon-thirty today I had increased the family boat count by 3 (because the school had *two* of the boats) and had my elder two children on the water.

Hannah had been in a kayak solo once or twice so she had an idea of what to do. I'm not sure Noah ever had. After being astonished at his boat control I asked him if he had been in one (maybe at the Y camp) and he said "No, I just watched you and figured out how to do it" (blushing pride, but I really don't think he has seen *me* in a *kayak* more than a handful of times). We practiced wet exits, but they both decided it was more fun when they flipped on their own (accidentally) than when I did it.

I let them paddle around for an hour or more, interrupted by breaks to swim, wade, and collect trash (Riversweep weekend). In the midst of that Noah looked at me, leaning back in his boat and said "I could do this all day". In the truck on the way to our next stop he added "I could do that all day, paddling around and learning stuff with my Dad".

Later, while walking the aisles of a local outdoor shop looking for a better fitting PFD for Hannah, she asked what I wanted for my birthday. I said I already got it. And *that* is about as good as it gets.

Scott

ps - With three sitting around, one is just begging to become a C-1. Jonah won't be big enough for a couple of years and by the time Lydia is big enough, Noah and Hannah will have graduated to other boats. The only problem with this plan is that my wife hopped in one, found she fit, and said, "I suppose I ought to learn to roll this if I'm going to paddle it" :lol:
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Nice..

Post by PAC »

Nice Scott! Very nice to hear!
I suppose we will be seeing more kids at the Armadas now!
Mine was in a canoe all weekend and is getting that C and J stuff down! I taught one of the older boy scouts a C1 roll (in a cascade) and another (one of my son's close buddies) has asked I could teach him the "flipping thing". He dad has said okay for winter roll sessions with my boy. Ah, paddling buddies! :wink:
Live is good.

Update on Maven to follow - widened cockpit increase fun factor!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Joey

Post by Joey »

after many years of paddling OC-2 with my dad, i got an encore(OC-1) when i was 10 or 11. my parents couldnt afford to buy me a boat, so i got one of the old ones. paddling a 13 foot barge when you only weigh 125 lbs can be a bit daunting. however, like so much of the paddling gear i got then, i eventually grew into the boat.

needless to say, i would have loved a boat that fit me. at the time though, i didnt care much. it was just great to get on the water. and to be honest, it didnt really hold me back that much, i was still running section 4, and the gauley before i could drive.

as for the whole kayak thing, my parents tried putting me in a butt boat then i was 8. i hated it it. first of all, i wanted to paddle a canoe, and secondly, i was scard fo the spray skirt. no matter how much they wanted me to do it, i wouldnt get in the boat. instead of learning to kayak, i just didnt paddle at all.

long story short. i wouldnt worry about the boat so much. they are going to learn in what ever they have. if you can afford another boat, then go for it. i know i would have loved something that fit me. if your son doesnt want to paddle a kayak, dont make him. as im sure you know, kids are difficult. if they dont want to do something you cant force them.