New Bob Foote OC-1 by Esquif (Paradigm)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

believe me brother, i would if i could.
my shoulder is trying to heal and i'm cranky as HELLo!
Larry
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Sorry too hear that :( I'm guessin that this is a good time of year to hit the creeks out there.Seriuosly :D Hope you heal soon! .

I'm an a$$ as well, a super sarcastic one. alot of you kats prolly hate me and I could give a crap.. I live to paddle! I don't put up wit idiots, and would give the shirt off my back to help someone else.
and I can't help but Razz people sometimes...
Hope this clears up a little of the nonsense that spews from my fingertips at times..
If you still hate me, oh F#@$ing well, no skin off my back...
Amiga!!
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

I'd like to try one out. Reminds me of the Mohawk Vipers...hard chines amidship tapering to softer chines towards the bow & stern. Don't care for the green apple color. It would clash with my purple PFD.

Terry
Louie

Esquif is the company

Post by Louie »

they will try to make a boat for every market, no matter how small. I think we are luckly as hades to have a company who cares about all real boater and not just give lip service to our part of the sport. I have to ask again however, Bob who?
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Come on, if BF travels the continent year after year doing training he must have some appeal to boaters out there...

He recently designed the prodigy which is a great boat for small beginner/intermediate paddlers. I'd say that most of his boats appeal to begineer/intermediate boaters.

I've never taken a training course with him but do know that people do it as a refresher year after year, and still find that they get stuff out of it.

And as far as you guys being bitter saracastic A$$~~~s, keep it up! Rants are a great outlet when you can't paddle. Either that or try therapy: www.therapistconnection.com

On a related note: Here are some other funny URLs.
http://www.nextwebgen.com/2006/08/02/to ... pany-urls/
________
Ferrari f310
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

paradigm

Post by billcanoes »

If I remember correctly- I think Eli had a yellow one at the open boat nationals- I didn't get to try it,

It probably wouldnt be a boat I'd buy but I think its awesome that Esquif is putting a variety of models out there, since the right boat for someone isnt necessarily the right boat for someone else-

I'd probably have been more interested in it if it were twin tex though
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

The color is bad, looks like the someone's baby had a problem, although looks like a neat design, a little wide, but may pay off and add stablity. Bob is a good dry boater, unlike me who punches holes and always has a half swamped boat.
Detonator Function
Pain Boater

Post by Detonator Function »

I think the most of Esquif's boats are kinda intimidating to the newer boaters, so as far as marketing goes, one would want to appeal to all levels; however, there's usually more money in starting boaters these days.

Yeah, a lot of the Paradigm's lines are similar to most of dagger's boats, because Whitewater bob designed those too... when you find something that works, don't mess it up. I don't really want to judge it too much until I give it a whirl.

To credit BF, he's out there promoting what we all love so dearly, and no one can complain about that. Well, I'm sure SOMEone could, but let's ignore that.

Someone said something about detonators earlier... did i miss something, because I love mine (although i haven't tried a tremendous number of boats). It can be squirrelly sometimes but overall it's a good boat.
Is this a rock I see before me?
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I only mentioned the Detonator in the sense that most 10' Royalex boats are slow (thus my comment about about the [relative] speed of the Zephyr). Although, many of BF's boats have been fairly (relatively) fast, but mostly due to length.

How much hull speed the Paradigm maintains is one of things I'll be listening for (until I get to paddle one, probably no time soon). If people think it resembles Viper designs, that might be good, mixin' a little Dagger with a bit of Mohawk?

Anyone paddled it?

Anyone talked to anyone who's paddled it?

Anyone seen it? Bill, what turned you off?

PY.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Pat- Paradigm

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Pat,

Well, to me it's a middle boat- and I probably should have tried it before writing it off, if I were filthy rich, I probably would own one along with Terry's zoom- it's in great shape- Anyway, this is my thought process based solely on length and material...

I like the Zephyr, it's fun, stable and relatively quick, and carves nicely- If I were going to go to a shorter boat, I would go to a Taureau or Spanish FLy-maybe a Prelude, which would be more suited to creeking and the rocky rivers in NC- So I guess to sum it up, if I were going shorter than the Zephyr, I'd be thinking about primarily a creeking boat-
milkman
C Maven

I've paddled the Paradigm

Post by milkman »

I took a class in September with Bob and he had a Paradigm along with him that he had just paddled on the Grand Canyon. He was still playing around with the ideal seat placement. I got to paddle it for about 20 minutes in some easy whitewater where we were working on drills.

I liked the boat a lot. It's got that tougher Esquif layup you don't find in Bell canoes. It seemed to carve and heel predictably. It doesn't have the acceleration Bob generally favors because he was looking this time to make a boat that people who like Ocoee-style boats would like. That would make me the target market--I like Phantoms and Ocoees. I was taking the class that day in my Phantom and, switching to the Paradigm, noticed a little more hull speed, but not much. (The Paradigm is a foot longer than a Phantom.) The bow is really bulbous so the boat really rides up over stuff.

Bottom line, it's great to have another choice out there. Thank you, Esquif. Thank you, Bob Foote.
Tie Dye Surfin Guy
c

Post by Tie Dye Surfin Guy »

I just have to say, I am super excited that there is a company and boat designers out there who are making OC-1's and developing THAT market instead of making another new and improved yak. I have been frustrated in recent years seeing all of the research and development moving away from OC-1, so I get happy when I see someone who is sticking with it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :D
We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace. - Michael Franti
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Esquif

Post by billcanoes »

I too am very thankful that Esquif is filling in the void for unique models- and its awesome they seem to truly be committed to making A boat to fill the need of most paddlers flat water to creekin, plus they are testing some new materials.

kx250guy paddles a phantom- thats not a boat nor a maxim that I would choose- but its nice that there is a boat available now- while not identical, which may appeal as a replacement boat to these paddlers.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I don't get dissing Foote or his designs.

Post by ChrisKelly »

The guy is a very good teacher. He is an excellent paddler. Almost certainly he has paddled the GC more than any other open boater. He has dropped a lot of significant creeks.

If you look at we open boat design as having split into two paths; he is certainly one of the leading designers in the long boat class.

I prefer his boats to the new short play boats but I am not saying the small boats are bad. They just do different things.

I wish I was the boater that Bob Foote is.

Chris Kelly
Al Greve
C Guru

Post by Al Greve »

Its a interesting design, but I don't think its going to be Esquifs number one selling boat. This boat is not for everyone, matter of fact I think you'll only see a select few paddling an owning it. Simply put you don`t turn this boat with your paddle, you turn it with its edges. Where as most of the other boat mentioned turn by using both. On the wave.... don`t plan on doing any flat spins, a planted blade won't bring it around. Secondary stability.... has none! I didn't feel that the boat had a lot to offer an intermediate paddler looking a good time, and over all, it wasn't a fun boat to paddle.

As an Esquif dealer it won't be a boat that I would try to push. But If someone wants one, who am I to say?

Al Greve