what if...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

RodeoClown wrote:...

Or why not forgo the cockpit, and make a kneel-on-top? (would that be an OC-1 squirtboat?) ...
A guy named Tom Visnius built one a while back - never really heard any feedback on it... There used to be pictures online, but the link is dead... (http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... 358677e051)
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Tom Visnius's "Hirshey squirt" courtesy of the "wayback machine" http://www.archive.org

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

RodeoClown wrote:Tom Visnius's "Hirshey squirt" courtesy of the "wayback machine" http://www.archive.org
Ah ha! Thanks! I forget about the wayback machine, but it sure can come in handy. My wife had a disaster and lost the contents of a web page she maintains and was able to recover a lot of material that way. I bet they didn't intend it to be part of folks' disaster recovery plans!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Ah yes...the Grim Wafer (or was that another of his designs?)

I've thought about that as well, but for a stiff structure you do need a certain amount of depth (at least with the materials we tend to play with), even if it's filled with air....

It's nice to be having a Cquirt discussion:)

Perhaps this year at a "Cquirt" gathering pre-armada we should try and get one of each squirt boat ever designed...especially as I know there are folks out there with Acrobats, Aerobats, Oxygens, and Mavens:)

Or actually have a DT competition! Ok, so MikeW would most like walk away with the trophy (unless Huge Munro reappears:) ), since he practices more than the rest of us, but it would be fun!

I may be posting something of interest later today...I'll keep it all in this post for now...
Keep the C!
Adam
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

from that website, it looks like the Grim Wafer was a K-1 SOT squirt. The C-1 KOT was the "Hirshey Squirt" Interesting idea...
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Yup, you're correct. I always liked the name "Grim Wafer" better, though:)

Does anyone know Tom, by any chance, or know if he's ever checked this site out? I suspect he has some interesting perspectives on boats, given those designs!

archive.org certain is an interesting site...frightening to think the info that's no doubt stored there unintentionally....
Keep the C!
Adam
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Here we go...

Post by Sir Adam »

well, after cracking the bow off (yes, i glued it back on, now my fingers are sticky) and cutting the turret out the wrong size I thought I'd take a break, have dinner, and post the images I took earlier of the Hull. The edges for the transition to the deck were not done yet, as you'll see (they are still sharp), but it does give an idea of the boat. It's down to 8' 6" or so, for the curious. Width is 28". There will be a turret, albeit a small one compared to the Maven, and big bowls or scoops in the deck (like a Meltdown or Oxygen).

I'd been planning this a while, but got some great feedback from folks here and PS at PS Composites before really digging in to the shaping over the weekend and tonight.

Enjoy!

ImageImage

ImageImage
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

WOW! :o That looks GREAT :D I can't wait to sink her :P
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

hehehe...

Post by PAC »

that thing looks wicked... in a very nice & pleasing way. :wink:

I have a feeling that there will be some surfability built into her as well!

Thanks for the pix and for keeping us posted! :D

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

OK.... i know i'll break it in no time, but sign me up!

looks great :D
Larry
Marc Evans
C Guru

Adam, please keep us posted!

Post by Marc Evans »

Sir Adam:

I would very much appreciate your keeping the Cboat community up to date on your progress. I would particularly enjoy photos that mark your progress as often as is possible. I enjoy building "things" and some day would like to design and construct a boat. So, any and all details of your progress would be most helpful - not to mention that I'm sure everyone who visits this site would be interested in the progress.

On a side note, if anyone knows of where I can read up on the design aspects of cboats I would very much like to hear from them.

Marc

P.S. If you think a 50+, 6'4'' individual could fit in your newest creation, I too would be interested in one.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Response...

Post by Sir Adam »

Mark - glad to hear you are thinking of puttering with building boats one of these days!

Charlie Walbridge's book from a while back is a pretty good one on building, but on design I'm not sure what's out there. I draw on all the different boats I've been in, seen, and heard about regarding design, and make it up from there.

I don't think of myself as an expert, just someone who has ready WAY to many posts on boats and enjoys thinking about how a boat reacts to paddler inputs and water / currents.

For the curious, the hull is now glassed, the turret is glued on, the shape to be carved out is drawn on the boat in sharpie, and the stern "pool" is started (2" deep in the center so far).

When I'm finished with the rough plug (shaped and glassed, not sprayed and polished yet) I'll post images again.

Thank you for your interest! I do think you'd fit in the boat, and likely be surprisingly comfortable, but we'll see how it all goes...there are a couple of new theories at work here (pools and slopes for rocker like on newer boats), so we'll see how it all goes.

Looking at the hull and turret I'd like to get it on the water NOW though:) It will be interesting 8)
Keep the C!
Adam
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Adam-
Will the 'turret' have "knee bumps" or be straight across? I'm envisioning something like the cockpits on K-1 squirtboats, that dips down in the middle. It would get a little more volume out of the boat, and would act as sort of a built-in bulkhead to hold your knees in place. The height could be adjusted for paddler size when you chop the boat. Just something I've been thinking about.

I don't think there's such thing as an "expert" boat designer or boat builder- we're all "just learning"- some have "just learned" more....
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Well said RodeoClown:)

re: the turret area - originally I was thinking what you described, however I will most likely do the opposite (rounding out, just a little) for the following reasons:
1) To minimize the "damming" effect (PS recommendation, BTW)
2) Realistically only the paddlers kneecap itself is going to be under the turret (it's only 5' high, remember...kneel and measure your knee, and figure a 3/8" piece of foam in their for comfort...)
3) I like a place for a water bottle, lunch, or a throw bag...and there is NO ROOM in the boat for it otherwise :wink:
4) Paddler shape and sizes differ so much - you get someone who needs the boat chopped, but has big legs (like yours truely, perhaps), and you can run into problems.

So, while I am very cognicent of trying to remove as much volume as possible from the turret area, I'm going to leave the area just slightly convex.

With luck I'll have a rough shaped image to post in a few days.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Keep the C!
Adam
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

You see, that's where your design technique and mine differ. My thinking would be "wow, I can make this fit exactly to my legs, it'll be so comfortable for me...wait, what do you mean someone else might want to paddle it?" :lol: