Fear - how to cope with it? another beginners thread ;)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: boatin

Post by Craig Smerda »

Alden wrote:Alden
wow... i was scared just reading that.

well... "spring" is almost here... soon i'll be able to get my Alden off the couch and hit the local rivers... i can't wait.

:roll:
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Love those discussions,

Fear and what we do with it is part of why we're in this white water stuff :lol:

But experience will make approching Class III water with fun in perspective not fear.
Having swam sooo many times all sorts of water I know exactly what I'll have to do if I ever swim and that's usually as bad as it gets :roll:
When I do hard rapids that generate fear, when get into the boat after scouting, I stop 5, 10 seconds close my eyes, focus on breathing(very important) and see myself doing exactly the line I've just scouted. Try to be as ''ZEN'' as possible, and make something positive out of this instead of letting it choke me.

You need to come paddle the Gatineau river In Québec with 100's of open boats at Gat Fest(see my other post for invite in August), spend time swimming Bonnet Rouge, super fun BIG WAVES with eddy that brings right back up :D warm water. Spend a week there, it will change your vision of WW. See it as therapy :lol:
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

Thank you for your advice!!

Then I know what to do. I've already found my favourite wave to challenge myself and to exercise the combatb roll. for the very hard stuff I'll go for a fierce hole (washing machine, they called it like that for a good reason).

And I do something out of my comfort zone at any training session.

Thanks for your help!
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

sounds too controlled...

... you really need to get out of that comfort zone. Just jumping into one hole, or simply turning to the left and not right is GOOD, but doesn't sound like much of a step up.... really step it up a notch, get immersed into something that's ALL-DAY-LONG... jumping into the same old hole over and over, becomes a routine quick

*** not way over your head...but a little more uncomfortable... ***
*** do not get hurt, but get pushed out of what you are doing ***
*** more sustained, so the effect longer lasting, deeper impact***

you'll notice a much bigger gain...what is it about NO PAIN-NO GAIN

a little of this and you'll be playing at the top of a drop and not just the bottom
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

...everything said...

Post by bigspencer07 »

What's been said....,
While on class II, do the sickest lines(& moves) you can see/imagine. It's not the tame moves that gives one added confidence on tougher water...it's the knowledge that you can handle the issues that aren't in the "safe & comfortable" manual...... 8)
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

Hm, right you are, but - jumping into that roaring hole at all (at still cold temperatures, with a not 100 % roll and a new, so unfamiliar canoe) is already a big achievement for me.........

the next thing is riding the recommended hardest lines, of course! I will do my homework, don't worry and try to follow your advices
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

For me, hitting that surf wave -and swimming- is the best way to get back "in the mood".

No, I don't have a reliable combat roll, just a reliable pool roll. And yes, I do swimm when I hit that surf wave/hole. But then again, what's the problem with the luxury of a drysuit.

After half n hour playing, confidence is back for the rest of the exercises.