Off side Surfing and Spins

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Dooleyoc-1 wrote:Also, one more thing...

***Phil said this and he is dead on. The most important thing to remember when doing a 360 is to lead with your head***. You need to look the direction you want to spin and the rest of your body will follow and the boat will spin around.
Absolutely. In fact, in steps 5-8, I didn't have my paddle on the offside at all - these were small enough holes, I didn't need the support on that side. Instead of just looking back to my right (I'm righty spinning right), I twisted around with my paddle back along the right side of the boat (upstream side at that point, but out of the water) and *that's* what brought the boat around - the torso rotation, the "winding up", all led by my head.

Need to work on going the other way... The water is up again, might have to go back...
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

When practicing on small features that aren't very retentive, convert the reverse sweep into a back stroke pushing the vertical paddle blade forward (the non-power face is doing the work) when the boat is perpendicular to the wave. At the same time shift your weight very slightly to the (soon to be) downstream side. Always lead with your head (read eyes).
Jollyman
c

Post by Jollyman »

Philcanoe:
Where were you during this race, what river? what race?

-Jollyman
Boats:
-Mohawk Probe 11 OC1
-Pyranha i3 221 K1

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily"
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

That would be the Mulberry Fork race, one of three down this way.

http://www.mulberryraces.com/

AND
Dooleyoc-1 wrote: . . .Phil, do you have any pics that you could post of a 360 in the opposite direction to your off-side?
maybe can get some from today.
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Hi Guys, heres a little clip that shows some good spinning body technique...

Yes its a small boat....as boat size increases the rotation has to be even more pronounced, the head will really need to be looking for the back of the boat...every time.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53 ... t=BOB1.flv
Jollyman
c

Post by Jollyman »

wetnobby wrote:Hi Guys, heres a little clip that shows some good spinning body technique...

Yes its a small boat....as boat size increases the rotation has to be even more pronounced, the head will really need to be looking for the back of the boat...every time.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53 ... t=BOB1.flv
What boat are you in in this clip? It looks like an i3 but I could be mistaken.

-Jollyman
Boats:
-Mohawk Probe 11 OC1
-Pyranha i3 221 K1

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily"
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Its an S6...