Hairline crack in hull

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Jim can you use clear shower curtain for vinyl for repair

Post by Wendy »

I have an Ocoee I purchased March 2008. I paddled big water a few times then let it sit till this March. Two trips on Middle Tellico and one deep gouge and a right stern issue. Also FYI- with light scrapping over on slides the green ABS is showing through.
Glad I have a Spanish Fly and Shredder.
IF our SE rivers were "deeper" I would buy glass, but Helenator cracked the stern of her new glass boat from Kaz on her first run down the Nanty in it. She easily repaired it, of course.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Just be careful how you use the Vynabond to glue the vinyl patch down. If you slather it on, some may get through the crack and attack the ABS, the foam, and even the outer ABS layer.

Keep the Vynabond OUT of the crack. Paint it on up to the crack but not in it. Make sure the Vynabond is not "wet" or puddled anywhere when you apply the vinyl patch.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Shoe Goop

Post by yarnellboat »

I've tried quite a few of these repairs in my cracky Outrage...

For all the repairs, I stop-drill the ends of the crack and carve/clean out the crack to make a big gouge...

For most hairline cracks on the inside, fiberglassing is overkill and you can just fill the crack. And I have also foud that fiberglass/kevlar patches are too rigid if the crack is in a high-flex area like right around your saddle, d-rings or knees. If it's elsewhere, you could glass it, but don't need to for a hairline crack.

I have also found that JBWeld, PC-7 or PC-11, or 3M adhesive are also too brittle if the cracking is in a high stress area. 3M has been pretty good, but can still re-crack or crack alongside.

On my boat with many cracks around the knees & saddle, I eventually I used 3M and glued down 2 layers of thin ABS sheet, little over big.

For most cracks now, I've gone to the quickest & simplest fix, and it's worked great - drill & clean the cracks, and fill with simple ol' Shoe Goop! It's got the flexibility, and the bonus of being able to monitor the crack. I've had Goop in a few cracks for 3 or so years now, with no downside to report. For me now, this is the ticket - keep it simple!

For a future boat, I too would consider glueing down a big sheet of vinyl or ABS as pre-emptive reinforcement in the cockpit.

Let us know if you learn anything with what you try.

PY.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

I strongly reccommend using flexane 94 with 18 oz roving . heres a link:

http://www.freemansupply.com/DevconFlexane94Fle.htm

Its worked wayyy better than anything Ive tried