Electric Bilge Pump (more i know! :P) Battery Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dale Barton
C Boater

Post by Dale Barton »

rcgalwa--You didn't say where to order the Polymer Li-On battery and charger What company/website can i order these from? Dale
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Dale, the place that rcgalwa refer to in his message BatterySpace at http://www.batteryspace.com/. I've purchased from them and have no complaints.

You can see the battery set-up that I've put together at

http://picasaweb.google.com/53kimbo/SpanishFlySetUp#

I'm using 12 AA 2600mah rechargeable batteries in a homemade watertight battery pack (14.4volts). I found out that AA batteries are a perfect fit to 0.5 inch pvc pipe. I made a pack consisting of 4 pvc tubes with terminals that fits a 2 inch piece of black ABS pipe. Weight is 2.1 lbs (33.8 oz) and the pump (Attwood V1250) with hoses and wires is 23 oz. Drains my Spanish fly in 45 seconds after a roll. I don't know how many drains the battery pack will provide, but I would expect about 45 minutes of run time. The most I've used it was 12 rolls on flat water - but should be fine.

Batteryspace sells 24 AA 2600mah rechargeable NiMH batteries for $30.00, with a 4 cell charger for another $7. I added a waterproof gland nut ($2.99) and a waterproof push-button switch with a female connector ($7) and a male waterproof connector ($5). The pump I got through Amazon for $36.00, delivered. All other parts were from the local hardware store or Radio Shack.

If you really want to go cheap and you don't care if your system gets wet (I do), you could take two 12 inch pieces of half inch pvc pipe, add 2 end caps to one end of each pipe. Put a brass screw through the end caps (contacts) and bolt a piece of brass plate (or some similar metal) between the two posts. At the other end do the same thing, but use screw on caps so you can get the batteries in and out. The bolts on this end are your positive and negative connectors (metal springs would be a good thing here so you don't crush the batteries - take a look a a flashlight for comparison). Use a couple of zip ties to hold the pipe together (you will need a spacer between the pipes or you won't be able to unscrew the end caps to replace the batteries). Probably cost you all of $3.00. If you wanted to waterproof the system you could place it in a length of ABS pipe and end caps. Probably cost you another $5.00. Just a thought.

Marc
Dale Barton
C Boater

Post by Dale Barton »

Thanks very much, got a newly reflburished Outrage with (get this) Walnut end plates(MY dad at age 78 did this with his router the day before Hip reconstrucrtion surgery) ' as well a Prophet that has not been paddled for 10 yrs, till I got it a few months ago. Trying to make sure both boats last till I'm done paddling. Dale
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Wal-Mart used to carry the V1250 for about $21. They (or at least my local store) has stopped carrying the V series. They now have the much hungrier Tsunami 1200. Still under $30.