Open Canoe DownRiver Nationals?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

kaz wrote:I better stop right here.
JKaz
Please don't stop John

Like I've always said about the Slalom Nat's... the National Champion(s) from my perspective is the person or team that posted the overall fastest time regardless of what they were paddling... period... end of story.

Then again... you and I have discussed this ad nausem.

I might actually go to the Slalom Rules Committee Meeting this year... care to join me along with a big cooler? Maybe we can bring up the 5 second gate pole touch to ice the cake.
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

Jim, what about gulf hagas for Dooley? Have you or anyone else even done it in an oc? I would bet the water is there to run it right now.
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

Clayton,

I just read this off the Penobscot and Paddle Chowder Society site... http://paddleandchowder.org/messageboard/

Due to the rain, I am forced to cancel the planned 1300 cfs boating flows on the Dead River for this week. As of this morning the dam at Flagstaff Lake is releasing 6000 cfs and Spencer Stream is adding another 1800 cfs. Flagstaff Lake is 2" from full.

Carol Clark, P.E.
NextEra Energy Resources & Kennebec Water Power Company

How will this affect the race? Quite sure it will since Seboomook is releasing 3,300 cfs, Canada Falls is cranking at 1,500... http://glha.brascanpower.com/Penobscot_U.asp.

Diggin' the rain... ran the Wild at 3,000 cfs yesterday!

C now,

Kevin
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Can't speak for Clayton but the races would probably be held on the lower Kennebec, like they were several years ago when the Dead was alive.

Jkaz
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

Beach, are you trying to make me jealous? Hope to have the back brace off next Monday, still planning to lead my trip at roll dams in August. Rodeo-
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Jim, what about gulf hagas for Dooley? Have you or anyone else even done it in an oc? I would bet the water is there to run it right now.
I think that John Connelly has run the Gulf Hagus in an OC-1 many years ago. He's run many of the creeks in an OC-1 back in his heyday. I've only run it in a C-1. I'm thinking that the Gulf Hagus is too high right now. Once on the river there's no way out but to go downstream. The walls are so vertical and so high that from the bottom it looks like someone could jump across the gorge. The Gulf Hagus is a bit of a drive too. Two great creeks real close to the Dead are the Cold Stream and the Enchanted Stream. With all the rain in the area they should both be running.

Jim
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I just got this off one of my email list the Dead is running at 8000CFS right now due to flooding. We have been getting a lot of rain
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

How was the race Dooley?

:-? It was this weekend wasn't it?
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

The race was great. A big thanks to Clayton Cole and Paul Cole for putting the event on. It was a lot of work for those guys but it was awesome. The high water made for some exciting racing and lots of people swam (1 out of every 5 racers?)

It looked like the race was going to be on the Kennebec, and that is where we practiced, because the Dead was at 8,000 cfs. Then the levels dropped to somewhere around 3,000 cfs? Which was low enough to do the sprint at poplar falls and the downriver on the top half of the course.

F-14 (Race Boats) were saved at the meeting and are here to stay! Wohoo!

Clayton beat me in the F-14 to win the Sprint class. Congrats to him. He had a very fast time.

In the F-14 downriver I got third and Clayton got second. Jeff Owen won, which was very impressive because he swam in the second rapid and then quickly recovered and passed us! He is really fast. The only reason I beat him in the sprint is because he swam in poplar falls.

There is talk of possibly having the race in Colorado next year and then the Nantahala the following year.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Dooleyoc-1 wrote:F-14 (Race Boats) were saved at the meeting and are here to stay!
There is talk of possibly having the race in Colorado next year and then the Nantahala the following year.
Dooley, that's great news! Congrats on great finishes.

KNeal, no rush, but I'll need to get my boat back for 2011...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Glad to hear it went off and was a good time.

If we can get the results sent to us we'll post them here as well! Links to photos as well! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!