Best breakdown paddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Some funny people work at AB for sure. Ordered my 3 pieces breakdown earlier this year and got the following:

Paddle part, about 20"
Shaft, about 40"
A grip with about 2" of shaft attached to it.

When the store attendant handed that out to me in its monday morning mood, my immediate reaction was something like:

"Dude, seriously..." :o

Than he looked at it closely, brain and coffee got together and we cracked our butt to no end. :lol:

Shipped it back to AB and got another one 2 weeks after, in 3 equal pieces.

I hate these edge paddles, they are very flexible to my liking but they are an inexpensive spare to have I feel. Also one more reason to grip thight to my good paddle when I swim!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I do the river salvage thing.
Cut off kayak blade with broken canoe shaft for one I use. Took broken parts from Big Als over the falls race nose smashing and Gonzos upper yough Zinnger snap to fab Al a spare.
So far have not had to use either (that I know of) ... but they where both tested and worked "well enough" on class III.
Just having them most likely means they will not be needed (or at least that is the hope). :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

My galasport breakdown was less than $40. Nothing special but i'm sure it will work in a pinch.

Phil
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Thanks, for the input...

...was looking for alternatives to a Werner or Aquabound, and hoping for something that was a step up. Usually a spare last for a very long time, so cost is a relative concern. Have lost half of one this year (a Lightning) and had two others break. The first that broke was made using a coupling kit, and the other was homemade using a hardwood dowel. This has been very a bad year for paddles, believe I'm up to around 6-7 (broke) sticks this year. Not to mention a lost Galasport.