Installing a pump in a Spanishfly and saddle height

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Golder, if you were asking this Marc (never seen so many with the same spelling) about the placement of my pump, yes, I cut out a portion of the foam. The pump is recessed about half way into the foam. Initially, I simply let the floatation hold it in place. I recently added a piece of quarter inch shock cord stretched from one side of the pedistal to the other to add some extra holding power, though it never moved when only using the bag.

You should also cut some slots on both side of the pedestal to allow better water flow to the pump.

One other modification I also made was to glue a piece of minicel (about 10 inches long by 2 inches thick by 3 inches high) across the back to hold the float bag away from the pump. If you don't, you may end up with the bag blocking the water from the pump. Just make sure that you leave enough room to remove the pump when you need to. Even with this arrangement I need to shift the bag a bit before fully inflating it so as to keep it clear of the pump.

I don't use foot pegs on my SFly, just the bulk head and thigh straps. With the pump in back, there is nothing in the way of my feet slipping back if I need to exit.

Also, to assist the pump in draining the boat, I tend to lean back when the boat is nearly empty. Gets rid of all but a small amount of the water.

If you want some updated photos, let me know. I'd be happy to post some new ones.

Marc
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

As far as saddle height goes, I'd say as high as you're comfortable with is fine.

Having had a ACL repaired, I've added height to the stock saddle, with out sacrificing too much stability (as it's a relatively stable boat). To me this increase makes the boat more responsive, rather than more tippy. You might add an inch of minicell (without gluing) and see how it feels. In this way you might gain insight as to how a inch less might feel.....and remember it's real easy to add foam back. (a little contact cement, some sandpaper, and urgood2go )
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

thanks guys....i appreciate the info.

golder
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've had quite a few people that I have had to coax into trying my SF - they assume that because it looks weird that it is going to be "scary" - it is the boat I feel most comfortable in, this thing is Barcalounger-stable but a lot more fun.
Mr Marc
Pain Boater

Post by Mr Marc »

Thanks a lot guys. These informations are very helpfull. Right now, I am buying the components to build the system. By next week, the job should be done and I will send you pictures.

With the Esquif outfitting, It is complicated to bring the hose to the back because of the footpegs. I think it will be easyer to bring the hose to the front of the boat.

Marc S.