Atom outfitting modification-- "convertible" strap

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

If I was being pushed back and undid my thigh straps I would probably fall out... if I undid my belt I would definitely fall out. I think that's pretty much the deal with most outfitting... is a stern pin/paddler forced to the back deck more dangerous simply because it can be impossible for them to actually reach their straps to open them? I imagine with all the pressure being pushed into the straps it would be difficult to get out without releasing them.
Another issue may be sliding backwards after getting loose in the outfitting-- legs under the back deck, hanging from the knees would be a very, very nasty situation. Is this something I should be taking into consideration, or is releasing the straps while pinned the main problem?
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

What I am getting out of all of this is - 'Go with cambuckles!' and a quick release system too.

You can configure your outfitting a thousand different ways (everyone of my boats is different - it's that uncontrollable creative impulse in all of us :roll: ), but cambuckles seem to be the best way to go for a quick release. Not all cambuckles are created equal though. I have had some of them slip or release prematurely.