Kayak to C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I tend to agree that learning to do everything with a single blade, might actually help your kayaking. A buddy who goes both ways remarked, whenever kayaking it seems almost as if I'm cheating. Just makes sense the more you know about something, the better you become. Guess it works with boating too.

(And yes, that would be kayaking for you Louie)
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I have trouble going back to kayaking personally. 100+ days in a C1 or OC1 over the last few seasons and when I try to roll a kayak, I struggle with the smaller paddle size and I inevitably throw the blade over to the offside low brace at the end of the roll, which is almost always bad form for a kayak roll.

Although I do agree the canoe strokes teach kayakers a lot. I think its like any skill, if you learn it but dont practice it for awhile, you may lose it... I worry about my kayak roll but then I remember that I hate kayaking anyway.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The last time I paddled a Kayak after three months in my c1, my kayaking had improved massively. That was roughly the time I stopped paddling kayaks though so I don't know if that would have continued...

I still feel like having a kayak for when I feel lazy or have to baby-sit people... but I know that for the amount of pressure I'd get to use it rather than a C-Boat it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)