Crack repair on Dagger Cascade?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I did a repair using fiberglass cloth and G-flex epoxy and it seems very secure.

I guttered out the crack and rounded the edges as suggested in the information that comes with the G-flex epoxy. You can get kits of G-flex that have 4.5oz of resin and 4.5oz of hardener, as well as plastic spatulas, silica powder and mixing cups.

I duct taped the crack on the inside of the coaming and poured epoxy thickened with silica gel into the crack from the outside, then later applied a fillet of thickened epoxy on the outside of the cockpit coaming over the crack to reinforce it. This was not so thick as to interfere with the fit of the skirt.

I then removed the duct tape from the inside of the coaming and applied a tape strip of 6oz glass cloth using multiple applications of unthickened G-flex to wet out the cloth tape and fill the weave.

As ezwater mentioned, when using G-flex on polyethylene it is very important to pre treat the surface of the poly by passing the flame of a propane torch over it to oxidize it. It is also a good idea to thoroughly clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol before flaming it.
TommyC1
C Guru

Re: Plastic welder in New England?

Post by TommyC1 »

dmecsas wrote:Anybody know some one in the New England area that does plastic welding? The closer to Boston the better.

I've got two cracks in the cockpit room of my Dagger Cascade. Just read a very helpful thread titled "Crack repair on Dagger Cascade?" and want to follow their advice and have someone experienced do it.

Thanks,

-=David=-
David,
Skip Morris was doing some plastic welding on boats. I've not seen his work so I can't comment there. Probably easiest to find him and/or other plastic welders on the MVP board.
See Ya when the snow melts!

Tommy