Patching Air Bags

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Fixing them is easy. It's finding the leaks that drives me nuts!

P.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I fixed mine at the seam with aquasure. Put quite a thick layer on it. It held for 3 days, well inflated inside. Don't know how it will hold when there is more water pressure on it though.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Aquaseal. End of story. You can even make fine cosmetic repairs of large tears by easing the patch material inside the bag and first putting a small amount of Aquaseal on the patch material along side the tear after you have it positioned inside the bag. Make sure you have wide margins on your patch material or you will glue your bag shut. Put a zip lock bag over the tear and stack some magazines or other weight on it over night. Remove the zip lock bag and put a bead of Aquaseal along the edges of the tear. As mentioned above, make sure it is flat so it doesn't run as it warms.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Patching Air Bags

Post by eddyhops »

fleckbass wrote:What is the best way to patch small holes on an air bag? I'm thinking Vinabond. What about patch material?
Vynabond or vinyl adhesive, scrap bag material, heat gun/hair dryer. All of my patches done this way have out-lasted the life of the bags.
JD
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I have also used vinyl adhesive and a small patch of bag material for any holes larger than a pinhole.

Aquaseal has worked well for me for pinholes.
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

gorilla tape
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

i show an on the spot repair in my paddlepointers videos. Even had to use the trick again this summer.
paul
http://paddlepointers.com/home.html
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
fishhead
c

Post by fishhead »

For fixing small holes during a trip or in camp between river days, I have found those peel-and-stick bike tube patches will work really well. You just have to get the area clean & dry. The patch kits are packed in a little plastic box about one inch square, have a half dozen patches and are really cheap.

For finding holes: I blow the bag up fully and then use a spray bottle to cover it with soapy water. The leak makes a trail of bubbles.