Truly adjustable ouftitting for plastic boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Giving people cuting & sticking tools is fine for canoeists who know/accept the drill, bot so great for introducing new folks.

Seat post would need a suspension system to spread the weight, otherwise it's just a cookie cutter through the bottom of your hull!

I hope somebody comes up with something - I can never demo anyone's boats.

Pat.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

yeah, but it's not for open boats :wink:

I think the original post had it with the idea of anchors being incorperated into the boat's mold (if that's possible).

Building an adjustable saddle would be easier if they weren't stuck on a bulkhead. IMO a Bulkhead can certainly be done, but it would make it more complicated, heavy, and prone to breakage.
Making something that can fit in all different hulls is a big problem to solve as well.
Larry
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Larry Horne wrote:yeah, but it's not for open boats :wink:

I think the original post had it with the idea of anchors being incorperated into the boat's mold (if that's possible).

Building an adjustable saddle would be easier if they weren't stuck on a bulkhead. IMO a Bulkhead can certainly be done, but it would make it more complicated, heavy, and prone to breakage.
Making something that can fit in all different hulls is a big problem to solve as well.

Yeap, the original post was specific on OCs, but kelvin has also posted some pictures of C1 outfit, similar ideas that could be fitted to OCs as well. Your saddle could also fit an OC, if it wasn't for the pillows needed to keep it in place. But the kevlar backbone could be glued down to an OC hull just as Kevin has done, I guess...

Some similarities on both ideas, as far as I see it, and I'm with you on the bulkhead being a bitch when it comes to adjustability. Although I love bulkheads myself... The old slashers were having adjustable bulkhead systems... Not sure how much adjustable it really was, since the position is one thing, but the angle of the thights are harder to play with. Now you're down to the knife and spare foam option!

thinking out loud I guess :roll:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I think doing molded in anchors would be tough. It's easy to do them on the outside for things like grabloops, but tough to do on the inside. They basically screw into the inside of the mold, so it would be possible to get the threads to go all the way through, but you'd still have a hole on the outside, and they'd probably be a lot stronger pulling "out" than "in" (though you could probably work around that).

If all we're talking about is doing straps rather than a bulkhead, it wouldn't be that hard. If someone wanted a boat with straps, I could put one together for them. But from my perspective, a bulkhead is much higher performance, and I also feel like when people are demoing a boat, they also want to demo the outfitting the boat comes with. For schools and rental fleets there's some need for creative solutions, but for "retail" I feel like it just adds cost and complexity. I don't mean to be a downer about this, and I'd be interested to see what others come up with, but it's not really high on my priority list at the moment.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com