Roll form

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

thanks for the pointers guys. Best way to describe how the roll works for me is a 'full body' roll. Not just hips, shoulders, or abs...but everything....

The trick is locking ur arms in that 90 degree position...so its basically like ur doing a push up, except with ur abs and thighs as the main forces that drive the 'push up'... once you start really baring down on ur arms /shoulders... thats how u can injure ur shoulder.... also, if u dont have that strong of shoulders.... keep ur main focus on ur hipsnap and hip flick.

As for using the back of the blade...because of the curve of it, it slices upward in the water... meaning when ur put a slight angle pointing to the surface and sweep....the blade climbs in the water. and that way you dont have to mess around with flipping ur blade and stuff... just one less step to do.

im gonna go back and re-read kelvins post... see if theres something i can easily work on without really screwing up what i have already

- pat - ur right the H dont fit me. i was trying to be 'politically correct' ahaha
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

and yeah the last pic is Green Narrows... Nieces pieces, scream machine, and gorrilla at the top.... just keep that in ya'lls memory.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

man, that looks like a sweet bit of water
Joe
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

its the kind of water that u fantasize about one day having the balls n skill to run in front of 1000 some ppl. "Canoeing's highest spectacle"

u could f up all the way to Pencil Sharpener...and stomp the notch and Gorilla like flatwater and u create a moment that hundreds of people will never forget. and they will tell ppl.... there cant be any more efficient way to advertise the sport of canoeing.

and the more of us that do it...the more it gets pounded in to peoples heads.

the downside is....its by far the gnarlyiest river i've seen in person. with every rapid having 'F that" 1st impression as you scout. and this is from someone coming off of a FullGnarlz creeking season....just to put that into perspective.

The Green Gnarlz.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

#1 for me is not hurting my shoulder. Again. I read posts this summer on rolling and took that knowledge to a pool and really hurt my shoulder (t-grip shoulder). It was excruciating to put a tee shirt on for about a week.

I really wanted a roll before ALF, but that just ain't going to happen. New goal is a pretty reliable combat roll by ALF 2012.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Todd - my roll went from non-existent to bombproof within a month. Just gotta get it going, and get urself into situations where ur upside down, and keep tryin to roll up(once you have ur pool roll). You could have it by ALF if you put your mind to it.

by the way - The way I roll, there is no pressure on the T-trip shoulder. It's the bottom arm that does more work. All in all, it requires the strength of a push up(not much. just stable joints)
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

tod, something to think about concerning shoulders-dont think about using arms, but rather imagine pushing down with your forehead and hipsnap against that. this will engage more torso and hips and legs. yoiu really only need to use your arms on that final lowbrace to get your head over the boat (not that my roll is that tight, but it helps)
Joe
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Going to keep this going and ask. Anyone have any videos or information on back deck rolls and offside roles. I've had a few back deck roles in a pool, but there not combat ready and the offside makes no sense as soon as I go over. All I have are the onside low and high brace role but really want to get the rest of my boat covered. Any help would be great? :)
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

back deck rolls are a good way to loose some of that ace skin
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

They're fun in a hole, offside bow initiation to back deck roll can be cool lookin...
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Yeah more want the back deck for play moves not creeking :D
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Think i posted this a couple of years ago...so there must be a thread somewhere...it works in all my boats including L'edge.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53 ... ckdeck.mp4

Chris
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Back deck rolls are a tool in the quiver... don't discredit them completely. If you are doing it correctly, you are not exposing your face, but rather your paddle is in front of your face the whole way around. Its a great roll to have for C1s and short OC1s... less so for barges, because the boat doesn't flip over quickly enough usually.

Here is a video of me in my slalom boat doing a traditional roll, then a backdeck roll. http://www.vimeo.com/13346427

I will also argue to my grave that the best roll is the one that works the most and is the fastest. For me, that is my backdeck. It comes into play when I flipped to my offside in a way that throws my weight back naturally (which of course i try to avoid). When your weight is already back, just flip her around over the back deck and you're done. No set-up needed.

The backdeck is a one motion roll.
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

If done perfectly they can be done without getting your face wet. I have only seen a few folks that were able to achieve that (C1) though. For now I will be happy just to get the basic onside roll down.
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

I can do it in small boats head dry...but that is a slightly different technique, it involves getting the paddle to the water much earlier in the roll.

The late paddle entry you see in the clip does not give head dry but generates as much momentum as possible before entering the water which really helps on the bigger boats.. :D