Paddle Length Preference

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

eddyhops wrote:
TonyB wrote:Im 6' and use a 60" for deapwater and 67 for creeking and E.L.F. runs.

usually have one as the back up on my deck, so can swap.
WOW!

I'm assuming there's a six where there shouldn't be??
picky picky
Proud Yankee
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I think a longer paddle offers more leverage.

A shorter paddle might be more comfortable because you don't need to hold your top arm so high. At least that's my experience.

I used to use three diffent lengths as well, but now i just use one paddle for evertything. Less to think about.

I didn't know that some use long paddles so they can stick them deeper in the water :)
Larry
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Larry Horne wrote:I think a longer paddle offers more leverage.

I didn't know that some use long paddles so they can stick them deeper in the water :)
I use a shorter paddle so I dont have to crane my T arm up in the shallower areas.
Proud Yankee
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

I've grown acustomed to a 56". Tried a 58" once and it felt too long. I think shorter is better for cross strokes and the shoulder. I'm looking to move to wood to help further with the joints. Oh, 6' 200 lbs.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

TonyB wrote:
Larry Horne wrote:I think a longer paddle offers more leverage.

I use a shorter paddle so I dont have to crane my T arm up in the shallower areas.
btw... :) means that I'm just kidding around.
Larry
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'm as bad a klutz as anyone, but I can work cross strokes as fast as I need to, whether in c-1 or in my 17" deep Big Boy. I also have no difficulty raising my paddle to accomodate shallow water.

But when I try to use a short paddle, it feels like I have to bend way over and reach to the water.

I'm curious..... are today's c-1 slalom paddlers using much shorter paddles? Endicott wrote that Lugbill and Hearn were using 59" slalom paddles, and they're way shorter than I am.

The other limitation of short paddles is reduced reach and leverage.

Long ago, when "high fidelity" was developed, someone did a study of the effect of frequency range on subjective preference. What they found was that people preferred what they were used to, not what was actually high fidelity.

But, if after a proper trial with a long paddle, one finds that a shorter one stirs one's pot better, de gustibus non disputandum est.
edg
C Guru

Paddle Length

Post by edg »

It does appear that today's racers are using shorter paddles. This link
http://www.canoeicf.com/icf/WorldClassC ... -Book.html has Endicott's case studies. The link to "Case Study Intros" gives his chart of old school height/weight/paddle length and today's comparisons. For me, at 5'8" on a "tall" day, I started with a 58" and have gone down to a 56". But I'm old and have to battle a desk these days....edg
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I think that total hight in my case 6'2", as not much to do with your paddle lenght, but I think that your torso lenght as much more to do with the paddle lenght. Next time that you have a bunch of friends sitting around a table you will probably notice that at that table, people are almost all the same hight... but when standing, thay could be a lot of differences in hight!! Just a thought!
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

i'm 6'1", about 170 lbs. and use a variety of different paddles depending on the boat. apparently i like relatively long paddles too. i use a 56" in my c-1s and a 58" or predominately a 60" in my open boats. today i used a 58" in my test run of the prelude and it felt right.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

bkebs - I use a AquaBound Edges(carbon) for $90. You can get breakdowns for $130(good to have). '56 inch for creeking/shallow stuff, '58 when its better to have power.

I'm 5'8 @ 180lbs.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I think Bailey said it well when I was down there last. A shorter paddle will be easier to move around, but a longer paddle will be able to provide more power and reach. The reach is very nice when you don't quite make it to that last chance eddy. With a little extra reach from your paddle you can hang right on to it and pivot in, even if your boat is still in the main flow.

Like everyone says though, comes down to preference.
For what it is worth, I have a 59" paddler that I use for everything. I suppose a little shorter would be nice for c1 playboating, but as a poor college kid.... well, you get the picture. :roll:
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."