Looking for info about Mad River Outrage

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I consider the Outrage as the best OC-1 that I've ever paddled. It has enough of an edge that it still carves into eddies without being grabbed and flipped by edges that are too sharp. I much prefer a boat that's easy to paddle from the get-go rather than one that I have to learn to paddle. For that reason I never did like the Ocoee all that much.

Different boats for different folks.
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

pblanc makes a great point about the Outrage being narrower than the Ocoee. Although boatbuster disagrees I still believe the Ocoee is more stable initially for the same reason he says the Outrage is easier to roll...rounded hull vs flat bottom. Although many have agreed the Outrage feels squirrelly at first, that feeling goes away after spending a little time in the boat. As for ease of rolling, I've had four Outrages and paddled two Ocoees and for me the two Ocoees rolled much easier. Maybe it has more to do with outfitting and technique than hull design but almost two hip snaps were not required nor did the edges want to dig in on the Ocoee. I'll bet she is going to have to paddle an Outrage and decide for herself and it would be great if we got a report back as to what her thoughts are.