What do you expect...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Re: What do you expect...

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

VIA member AJ's Picture

he has the exact same bags that i have ... just from the looks of it there are not as many patches
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Bob Wiggins wrote:
ian123 wrote:I ve got a beef with gaia's "lifetime guarantee"... I bought a pair and one got a couple of holes within a couple months of use . Don't ask me know, I was careful. I called the company and was informed that the warrantee only covers leaks from delimitation but not punctures. Truthfully, this is fair for a set of airbags... they re always going to be punctured at some point... but the airbags can't delaminate because they aren't laminated. It's deliberately misleading, if you ask me.

A couple of things that I do like about them is that the material stretches a little and they seem to fit the nooks and crannies in taureas, sflys, l'edges, etc really well. The other good thing is that, when they do get a hole the plastically material dries almost instantly and can be reliably patched with duct tape. They re relatively cheap too.
actually, airbags CAN delaminate- it happens at the seams, the glue sometimes doesn't hold. also, 2-layer bags, like mohawks, are notorious for having the top layer come apart. basically, what gaia is saying is that if the bag fails because of a weak spot, or the seams don't hold, they'll replace it- that's a VERY good warranty on an airbag. they just won't if it gets punctured.

I get that SOME bags can delaminate... but they have to to be made up of at least two layers glued together... that's what a laminate is... some bags (such as mohawk, I think) are a nylon-PVC... if these layers come apart, THAT is delamination. The Gaia bags are made of one single layer of rubbery material... it's not a laminate so it can't de-laminate. Blowing a seam isn't the same thing.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

gaia has 2 differenttypes of float bags. The Everlast ones are made from a thick urethane foil. They cannot delaminate.
The standard ones are made with a PVC coated nylon fabric, and they can delaminate.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

right. I have the everlast ones. thanks Gonzo
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Does anyone have an old Dagger Airbag and can check who is the manufacturer of the valves? That would be great...

Cheers
Florian
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

The airbags that we have available - just aren't good enough. I go through more airbags than any other piece of equipment by far.

I'd take airbags that would weigh more - for ones that don't get holes
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

I already have a better material that will work and am looking for suitable valves. No 90° knee bent that breaks, no caps falling off, no...
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;