Wood gunnels?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

henryflipinger
c

Re: Wood gunnels?

Post by henryflipinger »

Hey dude , i live in Asheville and currently replacing gunnels on my esquif. i have done it before and have not had problems with breaking or anything. The old ones are still on my old boat and are in good shape. the specs on the gunnels are 7/8 x 3/4, the 3/4 side goes against the boat. straight grained ash is best, a slight defect is allowed. Finish with tung oil available at ben moore for $35 qt. you must counter sink your drill holes using #8 SS screws.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Brass screws would be the more traditional option, but are a lot softer than stainless. The heads are more likely to get twisted off if you don't use just the right amount of torque.

Shep
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

dafriend wrote:
sbroam wrote:New question - what's the best way to remove rivets from to take existing vinyl gunwales off?
A nice sharp drill with a diameter slightly larger than the shaft of the rivets. Drill on the folded end just until the folded/compressed end is cut away.
Dave
Folded? Is that the "head" end? On the ones I've dealt with, I've only got access to one end, the "head". The first couple I tried to drill spun, which caused mild melting of the plastic (gunwale and Royalex). Since I only needed to get 4-5 out, I grabbed the "head" with vise grips and then drilled. With two complete sets to pull, I was hoping there was a better way... Maybe a new bit will make a difference...
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

sbroam wrote:
Folded? Is that the "head" end?
Yes, I believe that is what he means.
sbroam wrote:On the ones I've dealt with, I've only got access to one end, the "head". The first couple I tried to drill spun, which caused mild melting of the plastic (gunwale and Royalex). Since I only needed to get 4-5 out, I grabbed the "head" with vise grips and then drilled. With two complete sets to pull, I was hoping there was a better way... Maybe a new bit will make a difference...
Spinning rivets are a huge PITA. Ideally, the rivet should have squeezed the material enough that it will not spin. If it does, I think your vise grip solution is pretty much the best option.

Hope this helps,
Shep
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

When drilling rivets out, coming into the head from an angle helps prevent spinning. You must use a sharply pointed drill to do this! If necessary, start the operation straight on, then tilt the drill (15-20 degrees) to finish.
Bob P
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Also, light pressure when drilling will help prevent spinning... doesn't take much pressure to drill aluminum with a sharp bit
JD
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Thee are special bits made for drilling out rivets. They have a step in them. The smaller tip below the step drills out the center and the shaft part above the step is the same diameter as the head of the rivet. I've never had any spin.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Geeks.
JKaz......
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

kaz wrote:Geeks.
Is that some style of drill bit I'm not familiar with?
JD
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Guilty. I use air bags, too.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

And that's why I come here - i'm a boat/gear geek.
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

Quite a few of the Ledges have wood gunnels. Aren't they taking a beating without problems? I have put ash gunnels on one boat that originally had plastic/vinly aluminum. I have a MR Outrage X with the factory wood gunnels. I have had no problems and really like them.
henryflipinger
c

Post by henryflipinger »

yes they get beat up a bit and weathered, after all we are paddling over rocks, sometimes even right side up. I think they stiffen the boat and its what make a canoe a canoe.