Option vs. L'Edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Re: Option vs. L'Edge

Post by boatbuster »

Craig Smerda wrote:tough call Harrison... :lol:

has anyone ever posted some side by side pictures of the two boats?

either way you go... we're happy to see you moving into a shorter boat man.

you'll like it. :wink:
Thanks Craig. I would like to see that if you have those pix, like you did with the L'Edge and Prelude.

I have been paddling a Superfly for years, Skeeter before that, but as I said, I tend to like more boat under me when running larger stuff. That is one reason the L'Edge is appealing. I believe it is 6 inches longer and it appears to have a significant amount more volume. On the other hand, that means more weight! All trade-offs.

A local outfitter has offered me a wood-trimmed L'Edge for $1805. I thought they were $2K. This outffitter has also offered to pick up the tag for shipping, which they said would be $160. If I can get them down another $100 I may go with the L'Edge. Otherwise, it would be great to have money left to replace my leaky drysuit. I have to decide soon so I can let Jeremy know.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

RodeoClown wrote:One Option has been broken so far- by one of my team paddlers. In all honesty, its going to be a toss up between the two. The Option has a slight edge on hull speed, the L'edge has a slight edge on dryness, and it's a toss up on stability and ease of rolling (they're have their differences in this aspect, but in the end it's say they're fairly similar).

If it really is a toss up, the sales pitch I'd make is to let price be the deciding factor. The Option will leave a few hundred more in your pocket to spend on paddling trips (and will also put more money in my pocket to spend on paddling trips).
Thank you Jeremy. That helps...A little faster, a little wetter. The fact that only one has broken so far is huge. How soon do I need to give you the final word? Would Monday be too late? At this point I am still planning to meet you on Sunday April 22 in Asheville to get the Option.
doomroller
c

Post by doomroller »

If you are only going to paddles Class IV/V, then the dryness of the Ledge may appeal to you. The Option is great on all Classes because of it's speed and agility.

How many reviews do you need? They are both great boats. I just love the weight and speed of the Option.

Get the cheaper boat that doesn't break and comes with airbags. No brainer.
SandyO
Pain Boater

Post by SandyO »

I owned a L'Edge and sold it. Currently I paddle an Option and like it better than the L'Edge. For the kind of paddling I do, which is mostly class 3, the Option was the best boat for me. It is quicker that the L'Edge, lighter, dry enough and the price was $500 cheaper than the L'Edge, when I bought mine.

In addition, I really like the fact that my money is staying in the US and supporting a grass roots company like Blackfly. If is way cool what Jeremy has been able to accomplish!

Sandy
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

SandyO wrote: In addition, I really like the fact that my money is staying in the US and supporting a grass roots company like Blackfly. . .
. . . as opposed to going to Canada and supporting a grass roots company like Esquif (????)

(I'm kinda hoping our sport transcends issues like this!) :wink:

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
roscoe
c

Post by roscoe »

Well said Rick
ps I own a L'Edge and Jeremy has shipped me an Octane 92 soon to arrive in the Great White North
Ross
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

roscoe wrote:Well said Rick
ps I own a L'Edge and Jeremy has shipped me an Octane 92 soon to arrive in the Great White North
Ross
Thanks, Roscoe!

Congratulations on your purchases, but I'm jealous as he!! You should beware -- if you're not careful, you'll soon be dragging westerners into the XXIst Century! Look forward to your comments on both boats. Let's get together for a float soon!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

And there is option three (there will be a forth soon with the Phiend) - the Big Dog Force OC1. Fully outfitted with bags, same price or cheaper than the BF.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

doomroller wrote:If you are only going to paddles Class IV/V, then the dryness of the Ledge may appeal to you. The Option is great on all Classes because of it's speed and agility.

How many reviews do you need? They are both great boats. I just love the weight and speed of the Option.

Get the cheaper boat that doesn't break and comes with airbags. No brainer.

I did not realize the L'Edge did not include airbags. Thought it did. Thanks