wood paddles?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike Gardner
Pain Boater

Re: wood paddles?

Post by Mike Gardner »

I have a friend who paddles with a Cricket Designs paddle(Salida CO.). Really nice wood paddle and seems bomb proof-had it for years . $225 for standard and $250 for the lightend version
Flip756
c

Post by Flip756 »

I'm spoiled, a close friend hooked it up with a Bailey wood shaft carbon blade for my first paddle. I've tried a few other paddles when the opportunity has come up but I haven't found one I liked more. It's 54 inches and has what was described to me as a "creeking spoon blade". It's roughly 7 7/8 inches at its widest before it tapers back to the shaft. The pictures are too big to attach and I'm feeling too lazy to resize them. If someone wants pictures I can email them.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

All are good...
and send that Silver Creek to Walt at Polar Paddles for a re-build. Can have enough quality wood around! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
driftwood
C Guru

Post by driftwood »

Fritz orr paddles will rock your world. Call him and tell him what you want to do with it he will build you what you want. Unlike some of the other companies Fritz is a canoe paddler (decade on the US wild water team) and makes canoe paddles, he gets the cboat mentality.

Also he is not fast, I mean this as a compliment. He has another job running an instructional program and therefore is not pumping out paddles which means every one is top quality.

J
Will dance for rain
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Roy wrote:Have you looked into repair of your Silver Creek? I seem to recall Mitchell will repair paddles built by others...probably other paddle builders will, too. Also, this guy seems to specialize in wood paddle repair:

http://polarpaddles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy

I sent two Galasport paddles to Mitchell for some work. Peter did beautiful work on them at a very reasonable price.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Lappie wrote:Can we see pics of those Bailey sticks??
Cheers

Upper one (clear shaft) is a short, light C1 stick he made me.
The Lower (dark shaft) is my 'Gladiators Mace' for OC1

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I've used Craig's
Gladiators Mace
and it is indeed hefty, in a really nice way : )
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.