Blackfly Ion as first boat??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: Blackfly Ion as first boat??

Post by ian123 »

People love the Ion but most people learn in longer boats. I wonder if there is anything (skill-wise) that new boaters will miss out on by going straight to a short stable boat. I also wonder how many paddlers would choose a short stable (and slow) boat as their only boat.

I think the same question applies to new boaters starting in option and l'edges. I know that I get a little lazy when I m paddling nothing but my l'edge for a while.... it makes the first few minutes back in one my less-forgiving boats "interesting"..

Maybe it doesn't matter if the l'edge, option, ion is your "go-to".

(Regarding rolling- the fundamentals are the same for every boat. If it only works for some and not others, then you re missing one/some of the basics).
Coz Teplitz
C Boater

Re: Blackfly Ion as first boat??

Post by Coz Teplitz »

My wife and I are lucky enough to own both an Option and an Ion (as well as some Nitros). We fight over who gets to paddle the Ion. I feel my learning curve is steeper in the Ion, especially regarding using river features instead of power to get from point A to point B. Plus I just have more fun.

Problem is, my wife feels the same way...