Those who put feet under the pegs, how do you stay in?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Those who put feet under the pegs, how do you stay in?

Post by eddyhops »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7965663&hilit=feet+under+pegs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, I do about the same as Sbroam
JD
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

It's a 10" saddle. I may drop it an inch, but it's the same old tradeoff of stability versus knees and leg cramps.

The picture doesn't show it well, but the pegs are level with my lower foot. I'm thinking of raising them or extending them upwards and then slide them forward and use my heels to grab them. As ridiculous as it seems, I have not been able to get my toes forward to put the balls of my feet on the pegs.

I have ankle blocks in another boat. but I haven't tried them in this one. I'll try mocking up with some tonight and see how it works.
rivercowboy
C Boater

Post by rivercowboy »

I agree with Shep! Slide them babies up and put the balls of your feet against the foot pegs. You should be able to hang upside down with the boat tied on a set of racks. (not recommended, if anyone saw me doing that I am denying every word)

Also, in an open boat you have the advantage of having some room for decent footwear. I wear the NRS boots that look like Herman Munster boots. They keep me from getting toe cramps and very nice when scouting or doing a rescue.

Play with the settings some and watch TV in it for a while to get used to being in that position then try some exits to be comfortable releasing yourself by turning your feet outward.

You'll be surprised to see how easy it is to fall out of the boat when you want to even when you are locked in pretty tight.
Charlie Wilkerson
ACA Certified Whitewater Canoe Instructor
Dickson, TN
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've had Mohawk outfitting in the two OC's I've owned. The first one I'd put my toes under the pegs & tighten the pegs when playing. Then I switched to C-1 w/ no pegs. I went back to OC for a while, again w/ Mohawk outfitting & never used the pegs. Pegs do help you roll, but once you get your roll down you don't need them.

You may find that a tall back-rest helps you stay in place to roll.