Introducing the Esquif L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

perhaps I am not one to give permission to anyone for any thing but perhaps for the "even newer or more sensitive than me" there should be a Louie disclaimer, to warn the sensitive.
Proud Yankee
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie

Post by Louie »

tis so, and how is it my fault, and why is everybody always pickin on me.

did you all know at even the lowest of summer levels baby falls is still a park and huck, you just have to take you turn with the locals swimmin. I think even the proto type glass boat could handle the drop with out hittin any rocks, it is more likely to get damaged takin it back up to the top
jottsee
Pain Boater

Other boats

Post by jottsee »

Can Esquif use the same royalex molds from say the Zoom or the Detonator to make Rotomolded versions of these boats?

:D
Louie

Post by Louie »

No entirely different process, molds for roylex boats see very low temperature ( relatively speakin) compaired to a roto mold ovens. The Quake molds were carbon Keylor and were only good for a few over a hundred boats and were burnt up. A regular Alum mold for a roto ovev have an indiffinate life, but by the same token a mold for the roylex have a very long life span, again they see very low tempature compaired to a roto mold oven. If you want more information please send me a self address stamped envolope attached to a new Seda helment, Astral life jacket or a Aqua bound paddle.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Oh sugar cookie we weren't suppose to put any more posts on this thread, but it is Decker fault, I felt the need to answer before he came up with one of his normal off the wall answers
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Any chance we could see pix of the L'Edge side by side with some other boats, i.e. the Spanish Fly?
Helly
C Guru

Pics??

Post by Helly »

I'm still waiting for the paddling video, and have to wade thru all these posts to see if one ever got posted yet! :lol:
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

imagine
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

[quote="fez"][/quote]

Ah, forgot that one. I'm thinking also of in profile, head on, overhead, etc.
Helly
C Guru

trying to get an understanding of this boat....

Post by Helly »

So you say it is faster than a spanish fly....how does the speed compare to say an ocoee?? If slower, is it still faster than say a detonator???

Also, does the boat tend to spin or slide into eddies, or can it make snappy turns??? what other boat would you compare it to in terms of catching eddies & doing peel outs??

thanks, Helen
Louie

Post by Louie »

It is only nine foot long, so if it is faster than an Ocoee, he has truely pulled off a design mirical. I've never been in an Detanator so I ain't got a clue about that.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: trying to get an understanding of this boat....

Post by Craig Smerda »

Helly wrote:So you say it is faster than a spanish fly....how does the speed compare to say an ocoee?? If slower, is it still faster than say a detonator???

Also, does the boat tend to spin or slide into eddies, or can it make snappy turns??? what other boat would you compare it to in terms of catching eddies & doing peel outs??

thanks, Helen
It's not very difficult to make a canoe faster than a SpanishFly :lol:

Speed... well... I dunno... but I'd feel safe to say it's somewhere between the SpFly and the Ocoee. I haven't owned or for that matter paddled a boat that's longer than the SpFly for about ten years. The SpFly has been the longest boat in my fleet that I've paddled with any regularity on pretty much everything. (Prior to the SuperFly... I lived, slept and ate in a modded Ocoee) I haven't really spent enough time in other boats to make fair comparisons. I'll have to leave that up to you guys.

During the process of weeding out what I didn't want and what I felt the boat had to have to satisfy the masses I had to make a lot of tough decisions... a big one was the rocker profile. As much as I like the SpanishFly's rocker profile for playboating I also know it's shortcomings for general river running and creeking. I opted for more hull speed as I didn't see the need for the boat to play better than it ran rivers... and neither did most people that I polled early on... including the input of people on this website. If you want to playboat in an OC1... there's better and more proper boats to do it in already so why try to fill a void that doesn't need filling?

Edit... here's one thing I don't like about the SpanishFly... sometimes when you are out on a river or creek and you need to accelerate quickly... it just isn't in the cards. Another small thing... more surface area on the bottom of the hull allows you to ride down slides with greater speed and better control. Something else... it's nice to actually boof over stuff rather than through it. If you've paddled a SpanishFly enough you know how easy it is to lift the bow with a power stroke... but that also sinks the stern when you do it... this boat won't do that. :wink:

As far as making quick and snappy turns... hang onto your hat. :wink: You can come into eddies nice and easy... or you can hit them hard with a ton of outside edge and literally throw yourself out of the boat if you'd like. I'd say it's a lot like paddling the Ocoee... maybe even a bit more agressive if you throw the edge down. As I've mentioned previously... a couple of times... this boat wants to be driven. If you are going to hop into it with hopes that you'll just float down the river and steer it... this boat might not be for you. If you enjoy paddling aggressively... :D
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I think the real question is how does the L'edge compare to the Esquif Prelude. Both are very similar in size and are made of the exact same material. The obvious difference will be the L'edge's deck plates and the edges in the chine that should improve carving.

What's the difference in rocker. Do you see the Preludce as more of a playboat than the L'edge?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

milkman wrote:I think the real question is how does the L'edge compare to the Esquif Prelude. Both are very similar in size and are made of the exact same material. The obvious difference will be the L'edge's deck plates and the edges in the chine that should improve carving.

What's the difference in rocker. Do you see the Preludce as more of a playboat than the L'edge?
I don't have a Prelude... nor does anyone locally. It's been a few years since I've been in one so I don't feel I can give a reasonable enough comparitve analysis. I have a Skeeter now sitting in the basement... but my plate is too full at the moment with family, work and getting other things done. Hopefully Dooley can bring his or he'll be able to give it a fair comparison at Nationals in a few weeks as he's probably taken the Prelude more places than anyone I know of. I do know one thing for certain though... it's wayyyyyyyyyy more stable than the 'Lude in every aspect. Keep in mind... this boat was designed before Esquif bought the mold from Pyranha... and the 'Lude was it's main target. :wink:

Edit... I think the 'Lude will be "looser" than the L'edge
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.