loaded questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Post by Guest »

Problem is, all of these are important, and some are functions of the combinations of others. It would be nice to have a boat with all, but unfortunately some of these factors interfere with others.

First, let me say I do very little hole playing... it doesn't really "grab" me :)

In order, I prefer

1- creek rivers
2a- volume rivers
2b- bow surfing
3- racing
4- hole playing

I believe to get the most out of the information you've asked, the boater must give an idea of the water he/she prefers (read- WHY these factors would be important) as well as the boaters experience level (I've been boating for 10 years, class 3/4). I'm also 6'1" & 210#

Boats that have more primary stability usually have less secondary stability, and the inverse as well... typically by design. I think both are related to others in the list. Most boats I would consider for a beginner would be less edgy, hence less primary, but more secondary. For myself, I like the quickness of more edge... which usually means more primary. I don't necesssarily care for the loss of secondary, it's just something to work around. In other words, if an edgy, snappy fast boat was developed that had very little primary but mucho secondary, I may prefer secondary to primary (read- I like the boat that handles the best/fastest) so...

A Primary Stability
B Secondary Stability
A Hull Speed
B Durability
B Playability
A Dryness
A Creekability (this is tough, because length & weight are factors, and will affect many of those listed above it... big gray area)

A Lightweight

A+ COLOR!

? Intermediate Skill's Boat
? Advanced Skill's Boat

whichever one does "it" the best 8)

JD

canoes can do anything kayaks do, better

Post by Guest »

if your just plain riverrunnin', you can paddle anything that a kayaker paddles. As far as rolling is concerned; in my experience kayakers flip over way more than canoes. I have paddled Meadow Run creek in Ohiopyle, PA numerous times and have never flipped, but I have seen many kayakers flip and roll on the run. Canoes draft less water so are less affected by crosscurrents that kayakers would find difficult. Case in point, a friend of mine noticed that kayakers find the currents on Fikes, a run on the way from Ohiopyle to Albright, to be real squirrelly, but he had no problems in an open-boat. However, no matter what argument kayakers use to say open boats are weak, all I ask is this. How much beer can you fit in that thing. There's nothing like bustin' down some rapids, pulling over to a break spot, and opening up a cooler holding an ice cold case of Yuengling. Try that in a kayak.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Hey Craig,

I just checked out a few of the back pages of the forum and stumbled on this tread here. You never gave us reason why you picked our brains with all those questions!?!?!?!8)

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I've a few reasons. It might take a while... but I have a few fresh ideas milling around in my head, and if it is ever going to be something marketable the people who surf this board are the same ones who would consider purchasing something new and different. A boat that has input from a well rounded group of paddlers to me is important. I have a design partner for this and it will probably be very Frankie-ish. A new home for the little wife is taking priority at the moment.....
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Craig,

Its good to hear you are thinking of a new boat design. Now I will just have to figure out how to time things such that I wear through the hull of my Skeeter about the same time as you finish the new house....

Out of curiousity, what kind of production run was ther efor the Skeeter? Do you have any ideas about numbers of other plastic OC1s produced, like the Quake, Spanish Fly, etc?

Martyn
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I slid into OC-1 from c-1 and kayak because I'm old and paddle easier rivers. OC-1s are comfortable, and gear like cameras are easily brought to hand.

I have nothing against folks who roll open boats, but obviously on easier rivers, rolling has little value. And, I find an open boat still half full of water to be kind of pointless.

My feeling is that if one is really serious about rolling, and about the kind of rivers where rolling is an issue, you should either gronk your knees and paddle a c-1, or get a kayak. With all due respect to Nolan Whitesell, a decked boat simply offers more control and makes more sense on difficult water.