Kaz.... technique and stroke?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Gate 7? The one gate where I thought he may have touched was Gate 17, that one looked way closer to me than #7, but what do I know :wink: ...

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Jim
C Guru

Technique

Post by Jim »

It is not the technique for you- for you to get there will jam up the gleno-humeral joint and then all the motion has to come from the scapula. So stick with YOUR technique.

hades, I wish I had some kind of technique to stick with.

Connecticut is flooded and I am going to call Mike.
Jim
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

hip blocks

Post by chuck naill »

I am going to install hip block into a converted Dagger GTX. I have already made some curved plastic pieces to attach to the side of the boat. If you have differant ideas or suggestions, please let me know. :)

Chuck
Scott C
Pain Boater

hip blocks

Post by Scott C »

I bought a cheep cutting board and bent them up. I then glued on some Mini cell and bolted them on the Cascade. I suck but it made a big differance. :D
~~~\open side up/~~~
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Here's a clip (with the second half a slow-mo) of gate 7. It looks like the inside gate gets clipped on Martikan's way in.

http://wwslalom.org/misc/martikan.wmv
Bob P
Ken D
c

Post by Ken D »

I guess I got in on this thread a little late...

Bob P. On the video it is hard to see just what the touch was but I believe that his paddle touchs the pole just as he lowers his top hand to pass the paddle under the gate. It is actually easier to see in the normal motion than in the slo-mo. I also agree with your earlier post about it there being some magic involved as far as Kaz is concerned. I think that there are some people out there that just have a innate sense of water dynamics. I wish I were one of them. Another one that has that 'Magic' is Harold Deal.

Pain Boater I also thought that the Hochschorner brothers were awesome. Did you notice they were the only team where the bow paddle NEVER did a cross stroke? If these are the videos from http://www.eauxvives.org/slalom/videos, another spectacular move was the French C2 team Yann/Philippe from gate 7 to gate 8 through the hole, they flipped!! The stearn paddler actually rolls the boat up on a cross roll without changing grip. Talk about flexibility.

Racer X. I also have seen quite a few people do the control hand behind the head move. I was taught that that was one of the BIG no no's. It puts the paddler at risk of a hyperextension dislocation. The people you mention and yourself are still young and flexible. At my age I try to keep the risk of injury to a minimum. I was a first hand witness to a dislocation and was glad it was not me. By the way he no longer C1's he had to go over to the dark side...