Delaminated Repair

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jim P
C Guru

Paint prep

Post by Jim P »

I've had good results with Krylon as well. Just wiped the hull down with denatured alcohol first to prep the surface.
dixie_boater
C Guru

Paint Prep for ABS Royalex

Post by dixie_boater »

Heidi,

I've used a plastic prep product that contains toulene and xylene. I bought it at an auto parts store. It removes all grease, wax and other substances that keep the paint from adhering to the hull. It is primarily intended for prepping automotive plastic for painting, but it works very well on Royalex. Avoid any contact with skin and use in a well ventilated area as breathing the fumes is not good for the central nervous system. I use it if I'm painting a ABS plate repair. There is no finish on the plastic plate and it is hard to get paint to adhere to it without using this prep method.

It's easier to get paint to adhere to Royalex with some vinyl left on it. If you're painting a Royalex hull lightly sand the area first. Prep with a ammonia based cleaner or denatured alcohol as Jim P mentioned. Afterwards dry the surface with clean cloths or rags. Apply a couple of light coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry between applications.

Michael
Michael McCurdy
mattm
C Guru

abs rod

Post by mattm »

I found some 1/8 inch dia. abs weld rod on the USPlastics web site. They have it in black or white, although they were out of white when I ordered. It comes in 1 pound rolls, and is a lot easier to make small pieces out of. Got to save Aarons whitesell and quick :roll:
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
ezwater
C Maven

Chiseling to remove vinyl layer

Post by ezwater »

A reminder..... If you have to remove a bunch of vinyl to work on the ABS underneath, one way to do it is with a sharp chisel. By holding the chisel at a very low angle, and holding it slightly askew relative to the direction you are pushing the chisel, you can remove all the vinyl in one clean motion. The vinyl is well-bonded to the ABS, but the ABS is just enough harder that the chisel will skim the vinyl off at the boundary of the two materials.

This is less likely to scuff or sand away some ABS than is the usual sanding method.

Chiseling will not work as well on folded or battered surfaces, and is harder to do on very concave surfaces. But give it a try. Works cleanly and is much quieter than sanding.