Here's a little OC-1 on buseater action for you...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Yeah, that's right- as an official International Canoe Federation event, they've now started drug testing. Athletes were selected at random from the finals- one from each class, except for two from men's K-1. Obviously they're really worried about the OC-1er's juicing to be able to throw around those big boats.....
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

jeremy, congrats man. It is so cool to see people like you doing what you are doing. Making your own boat, and then competing at a world level, traveling and getting sponsored to compete. it is just so neat that you are able to do that. and with the roids, hey man, do what you gots to do. that's why i don't compete at the World Championships, I love my Juice...
Skaal
-Isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Congratulations to Jeremy and everyone that competed. Personally... you all made me extremely proud to be part of our side of the sport. Some of the folks in organized freestlye might want us off the "bus" or at least to sit in the back seat... but you guys were the ones sticking your arms and heads outside the window and making everyone take notice... you should all be extremely proud of yourself.

First person ever drug tested at an ICF Freestyle event... an open boater... I think you may have been "profiled"... :roll:

In my "humble" ( :roll: ) opinion... Best Worlds EVER!!!
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

No, if they were profiling, they would have tested a squirtboater first. :lol:

I think we made a pretty good case for the OC-1s. We managed to actually get some coverage in the interweb media reports. We managed to show that we can do the same moves as the kayaks. I think that's going to be the key -we pretty much have to play by their rules if we want to keep playing along, and we showed we can.
Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

Sorry for not keeping my fingers crossed for you, Jeremy, but being a Kraut myself I cheered for Pätsch. And he won!

One question though: Was he paddling a Salsa on his final run? I couldn't make it out properly in the video you posted on your site, but it definitely didn't look like his usual Robson Super Fly.

Nevertheless, awesome stuff you all did in that wave. And good on you to show all those buttboaters that canoeing is still alive and kicking. Thanks for that!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Taniwha wrote:One question though: Was he paddling a Salsa on his final run? I couldn't make it out properly in the video you posted on your site, but it definitely didn't look like his usual Robson Super Fly.
Looked to me like Stephan was in the "CU"-Fly in pre-lims but in the Salsa in the finals.

CU is faster on the green part of the wave due to lower amounts of rocker... and it's wider... so on plane it works well for spinning. This attribute works against you though if you want to wheel the boat on it's edge and it is harder to get it to bounce BIG like the Salsa will with it's kick rocker.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Craig Smerda wrote: Looked to me like Stephan was in the "CU"-Fly in pre-lims but in the Salsa in the finals.
Correct. I was surprised how well the CU worked there- I figured it would be a pearling machine, but it seemed to work well, and got some pretty good bounces- I think mostly as a function of the massive planing surface. Definitely makes me want to make my boat a bit wider...
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Taniwha wrote: One question though: Was he paddling a Salsa on his final run? I couldn't make it out properly in the video you posted on your site, but it definitely didn't look like his usual Robson Super Fly.
I said hi to Stephan after the finals... Great run! :-) Here's the story on why he was paddling a Salsa to the best of my memory.

There were a shortage of OC boats. In total there were 9 competitors with 4-5 boats total. Stephan ran the prelims with the super fly but then a spanish guy wanted to paddle the superfly for the finals... so stephan paddled the Salsa, which was available.... awfully nice of him! :-D

Mike.
Jamie@Openplayboater
c

Post by Jamie@Openplayboater »

I'd just like to say a massive welldone to all the guys that competed at the Worlds.

I actually thought OC1 on Bus Eater was going to end in a lot of injured openboaters and a pretty poor show. Boy did you guys show me how wrong I was!!

The show you put on once again proved that big boats going big is far more impressive than the kayakers doing what they always do. You raised the bar to a completely different level and I was incredibly impressed.

As for the drug test thing, it's never a nice experience. I was tested at the Europeans in 2004 which I think was the first ever drug testing at an international event. Let's just say I was very dehydrated and drinking beer when they found me to go for the test :-)

The whole drug test thing is getting bigger and bigger. We have had drug testing at the last two years of GBR team selection and at the British champs and it has been included in the last two European Champs. I know it's the way the the sport has to go to get fully approved and a chance of getting into the olympics but I'm not convinced...

Jamie