2008 North Branch of the Potomac Armada May 30-June 1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Colin,

I don't think I can offer you a ride, as since the Shaggy guys will most likely be busy whipping the raft guides at RiverRun in shape during that time and therefore most likely not be able to make it, I will be their 'honorary rep' (or something like that ... :lol: ...) and have my roof rack full with demo boats. Plus since I am going down with Scott, you would most likely not appreciate the tight quarters in the jump seat of a Tacoma...
You are however welcome to camp at our site on the campground.

PAC, what are the odds that the Meadow Run will be runnable on Sunday :lol: !?!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Colin - twist some arms and get some others to come as well! :wink: Then just follow the Tacoma loaded with boats! It should be a good time!

Martin bummer on the Shaggy lads being MIA but we understand (and look forward to taking out thier boats - that means I have dibs on a Sith!!!). 8)

As for Meadow Run - that depends on the weather (rain)! Enjoyed it did ya! I enjoyed your faces on the cascade. Oh and since you are now warmed up and have a few paddling days in I might have some other jewels you might like to view up close and personal!

C ya in May!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Yep, the Meadow Run is definitely one of my favorites... 8) ... And running the Cascades without scouting was definitely something of a 'Holy S%#$!! 'kind of experience... :lol: ... I am sure my eyes were the size of saucers as I ran them...
I am starting to pray for water on those hidden gems now!

See ya in May!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Its one of my favs too! Particularly in a OC.

You didn't run it blind...you got a chance to boat scout it and see a probe lead for you! Its pretty straight forward after the first boof move since your committed and there is no where to hid once gravity takes over!

Beside I figured princess Leah would have locked up if she looked at it after seeing the slides and we were burning daylight!

I had faith in her and her A game after she nailed Terminator on Indian Creek, and true to form she aced it! :-) She also lead the lower section of S-turn so kudos to her and you for nailing a daily double!

Lets shoot for a trifecta or go quadraphonic next time! 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

I am still coming

Post by cmnypny »

whether it be by myself or with others.

Martin ... no way I could sit my fat butt in the back of a Tacoma but I might take you up on the tenting offer or maybe not pending the comment from Dan. where "Colin snores like a diesal starting in cold weather.".

How much is it for camping?

PAC ... I sent you a PM earlier reference your offer.

My goal is to meet new people, paddle new stuff, and of course take lots of pictures.
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Hey Collin.... disel or not you're welcome on our site.
So is anybody going early or staying and extra day? Just wondering; Kids would love an excuse to ditch school

anywho.... it is only driving
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Gail R wrote:So is anybody going early or staying and extra day? Just wondering
I'm heading up on Thursday. If anyone is coming up I-95 & wants to park & play at Weldon, we could do that Thursday morning.
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

Gail R wrote:Hey Collin.... disel or not you're welcome on our site.
So is anybody going early or staying and extra day? Just wondering; Kids would love an excuse to ditch school

anywho.... it is only driving
cool ... I know the girls love me or at least they like to pick on me!

what were you thinking of being there fri thru monday?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

PAC wrote:Its one of my favs too! Particularly in a OC.

You didn't run it blind...you got a chance to boat scout it and see a probe lead for you! Its pretty straight forward after the first boof move since your committed and there is no where to hid once gravity takes over!

Beside I figured princess Leah would have locked up if she looked at it after seeing the slides and we were burning daylight!

I had faith in her and her A game after she nailed Terminator on Indian Creek, and true to form she aced it! :-) She also lead the lower section of S-turn so kudos to her and you for nailing a daily double!

Lets shoot for a trifecta or go quadraphonic next time! 8)
PAC,

I am from Ontario, we usually scout for extended periods of time any rapid that can't be clearly seen top to bottom from the boat or that is class 3 and up... :wink: ... so from that prospective, it was like running it blind... plus it was way steeper than what it looked like from that eddy... and my goggles were fogging p, so I couldn't see anyway... (Yes, making up excuses here... :lol: ...).

I am game for any trifecta or quadraphonic 8) !!

Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Come on down....

Post by Mike W. »

PAC wrote:Friday AM we get up early and will be heading through Ohiopyle (maybe a Loop run) then PS Composites (Accident, MD) then the Cheat Narrows (Albright, WV).
Hope this helps and others please post as well. Paul C.
Hey Paul, are you doing a loop run on Friday morning? If so, let me know what time I need to be there. That was a hoot last year :D
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I'll go ahead and post my intent on being at the Armada and pre-Armada this year. For some reason, having a family has forced me into considering them when I'm wanting to go boat for a weekend. :-? :wink:

I'll be driving up Thursday night, so it'll be a late arrival at the campsite. Thanks for having your site open for me, Mike W., I'll definitely "crash" there. Paddling the Loop is always a good option for me. The shoulder is far better this year, so I doubt I'll be as entertaining as I was last year (flippin' and swimmin' in flatwater :x ). Sorry Mike! :P

It'll be good to see new faces in addition to the mugs I've been accustomed to seeing! :D I'll bring my squashed-stern Atom and Viper. Will bring the Deadline c-2, if anyone wants to tandem a slalom boat with me (stern-lefty). Just tell me if you want to.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

KNeal,

Does that mean that this year you won't bail out when I am trying to take you up on the offer to paddle C2 in the Deadline :wink: :lol: ( I can paddle bow righty)???

KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

You, know. I forgot how I hurt your feelings for not paddling the slalom c-2 boat with you down the Lower Yough Loop at 5+ feet! :o :( :cry:

If the Loop is at a tamer level, do you wanna team up this year? If so, then I'll definitely bring the Deadline. :D

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

KNeal, that's a definite YES on teaming up to paddle your C2 8) :D !

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

Sounds like a great opportunity for taking pictures of sinking battleships :o