Hudson Armada:)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I was up at the barn yesterday (Sat.) The maples are a GORGEOUS flaming red this year already! Should make for a memorable trip.

Does anyone who is coming have a waterproof (preferably digital) camera? We've never had many "on the river" shots of the Armada, other than by the WWC photographer.

I'll be interested to see those two Vipers (and compare to the one I have here). One of these days I need to make another "full cut" Viper like the one I sold Jim Kelly-Rand. Definitely one of the all time best cruising / front surfing boats of all time.

We'll decide on Sat. night what Sunday looks like - given current river levels, I suspect we'll have three options:
1) Playing in the river in front of the house here (a plus is it's flatwater / slowly moving, so no worries if you swim ;) )
2) Run the Sacandaga (20 min away), a class II / III run with easy shuttle (though you do need to carry the boats to the river...5 minute walk or so)
3) Do a little exploration at two potential squirt spots on the Hudson (or 1 on the Sac).
Keep the C!
Adam
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I have a small waterproof camera that I bring along on the river. FYI my open boat roll is not consistant but I boat Cl4 water often, and have a good self rescue. I am also used to looong trips, like the Dead River in Maine, so I'll be ok with the distance. For Sunday I'd be interested in the Sacandaga or something similar( not too long, not too difficult) before driving home if anyone else is game. Adam is there a spot for a small campfire at the Barn? If not we can huddle around a coleman lantern :)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Craig,

It sounds like you'll be fine, particularly at the levels I expect we'll see (low water).

Regarding the barn, yes, there is a space or two (and wood) - check your PM's.
Keep the C!
Adam
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

This is the gage for the Hudson Gorge:
Hudson River at North Creek
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?s ... 0065,00060
We take the low on the graph (natural flow) to determine the level.
The Indian River release is usually around 1000 cfs, give or take 100. At typical fall levels, that usually brings the Hudson up about a foot. On the Indian the smaller rocks are a slight issue at 900, while the waves and holes get a bit bigger at 1100. It is wetter in an open boat at 1100, but slightly less "technical". A couple hundred cfs more or less does not affect the Hudson much.
I think 4' with the release is a decent first time level on the Hudson for most average boaters.The Gorge at 4' is a lot like the Dead at 2400. A natural flow above 5' makes the class IV's really IV's though.
Although we use feet to describe the level for the Hudson, the gage for the Indian would be more useful if it gave cfs:
Indian River below the dam at Lake Abanakee
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?s ... 0065,00060

By the way, Adam's barn is at a beautiful spot at the base of Crane Mountain. Crane is a very nice hike, if those camping there get the time.

LEW
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

This has peeked my interest but not sure if I can do another long road trip so soon after Gauleyfest.

What is this like compared to the Lower Gauley as far as comfort level?
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

C'mon Colin!

I met you at the gauge for Daddy's and on the Tellico at ALF '08... would be great so see you before the leaves drop.

I need photographic evidence of my existence on the Hudson and you're the only one capable of the task!

Carpe Canadian!

Kevin
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

At the current levels (low) as long as you are comfortable in class III technical rapids you're likely to be OK. It's a big river, there are plenty of paths to follow...and at these levels rocks to avoid. Not too many nasty holes, but lots of hard rocks....

I've noticed a lot of folks will be in other OC's. Who else will be in a C1, and what are you planning on paddling? As most of us will be meeting at Challengers in North River at this point I want to bring a boat that is "compatible" speed wise with what everyone else will be in....
Keep the C!
Adam
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

hmmm ... there i be tagged as the photo geek.

forgot to mention I paddled the New River Gorge at really low water which turned it into a really technical run for avoiding BFR's and undercuts.

I will have to thinking about making the roadtrip as I have lots of stuff to catch up on at home like close the pool, etc.

Just out of curioisty what would the water temp be ... still shorts and polypro top.

Here are some pics of me playing in rightside horseshoe on the the Ottawa this past weekend.

Yes there is a 14 foot boat there somewhere!

Link to pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/se ... 586820805/
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Yes Colin, do come along it would be good to paddle with you again! The drive can't be that far? Maybe Kneol, Derek or Dan., will spilt the gas and driving. I've been brushing up on my canadian language skills, eh. I may even bring a touque if I can find it.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Water temps will likely be in the low 60's. Highs for the day the same. If you're in an open boat, and we wind up with a sunny day, you'd likely be fine.

Personally I'll be wearing a drydeck:) But that's mostly because it's comfy. Unless I take the Fanatic. In which case I'll be in a drytop....but then again I'm in a C1, not OC1.

Plan on it being cool....

It should be a great time, as the foliage should be just right:)

I know there were a few other folks from the Great White North thinking of traveling down....
Keep the C!
Adam
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

I think I can make it for saturday, so plan on one more for the shuttle. I would like to come over friday night, but not sure I can yet and may not know until the last minute. If I do I'll have a small tent and would only need and spot to pitch it.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Stingray - check your PM's.

Camping spots at "the barn" (I can send directions, just let me know your e-mail) or at our house down in Queensbury (further away, but we have beds too!). Barn is a gorgeous spot though, nice field running water (gravity fed from a spring) and an outhouse. Wood for a campfire too:)
Keep the C!
Adam
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

ok ... so I hate to say it ... I will NOT be attending this years armada.

i still need to pay off my last trip and can't justify another 7 hour road trip each way so soon after Gauly Fest.

is the Hudson one the same time every year?
C-Dawg
c

COME DOWN IN THE SPRING

Post by C-Dawg »

Pain Boater,
Plan a trip for late March-mid April and we could get a run in on the Hudson and Lower Moose. could watch the gauges to get a decent level for the Moose, that time of year would be good for the Hudson. If we choose to maybe could share a ride to Gauley next year.
C-ing is believing!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

In past years I've held 2 "armada's" a year - on Whitewater Derby Weekend (first weekend in May) that usually only 1 or 2 folks show up at, and either a July (summer) or Fall (usually the last release weekend, or the weekend before the last release - basically trying to get the best fall foliage).
Keep the C!
Adam