This Is A Travasty!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Jeremy, awesome video man. you were killing it on the wave!

Eli, I agree. It's open canoe rodeo! It was stupid to go away from the name rodeo.

Also, I will say it again. Open canoeing rocks! See you at the Gauley next week.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

So... let's cut right to the meat and get back to the original topic... who exactly is or may be pushing to eliminate the OC class from the Worlds... this time and why?

I'll say this once again as I have said before though... if we don't show up and compete or don't show strength in numbers... they will keep trying to eliminate us from their events. It sucks and I'm by no means in favor of it... but that's the reality folks. They find the venues, organize the events, get sponsors, judge, etc. and if only a few of us show up to compete what is their incentive to keep us around... really? If there isn't at least three people competing is it really even a class? The numbers tell the truth. It's up to us to show them we want a place at the table.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'm doing my best to reach a sensible level to go for the 2011 GBR trials; (I could get myself to the 2010 one's next month but that feels unrealistic of me to jump in a boat for the first time in 7 months and expect to have a pop at the european champs; or is it?).

In any case its nice to know that at least a half dozen people in this tiny english speaking slice of the paddling world want to keep the rodeo alive.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
pmp
CBoats Addict

supposed to be cartooning....

Post by pmp »

hi guys, interesting thread, gotta add my 2 cents.
Despite their being a couple oc boaters who have pushed the boundary of the possible (thanks guys) i think OC rodeo has been dead for a while...at least in the rec oc boater eye. It was unavoidable, but the day the skeeter showed up was the start of the decline in interest from the general paddler. that was 1997. in '97 there was a huge turnout for team trials. it was big boat big air pirouttes cartwheels etc old school. the superfly and quake were out by 1998 team trials..there were 3 people at trials..and one of them couldn't roll. #'s have since dropped.
Let's face it dudes, people like river running & creeking and front surfing which their boats can do. they won't spend the time or $ to learn how to drive a decent freestyle boat.
-in the time i've been paddling it, guess how many people have wanted to know where to get a boat like my cu fly....
back to the drawing table now
paul
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Re: supposed to be cartooning....

Post by RodeoClown »

pmp wrote: in '97 there was a huge turnout for team trials. it was big boat big air pirouttes cartwheels etc old school. the superfly and quake were out by 1998 team trials..there were 3 people at trials..and one of them couldn't roll.
In 97, worlds were on the Ottawa. In '98, trials were for an event on the other side of the world. I've got to think that fits into the equation as well.
I remember the first time I saw a Skeeter. At the time, I only kayaked, and didn't do rodeo, but I wanted one!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

spot on Paul (pmp)...

I quit rodeo when you had to turn over to win. Prior to that, the name of the game was to stay up right. Even when getting big air (enders) the goal was to pirouette, land upright, and go back for variety points. Not everyone stayed upright ( :D spectator :lol: appeal :P ), but the premium of getting multiple moves in really decided the winner. The goal of purposely flipping your canoe over is this alien idea to me, the antitheses of open canoeing. If I wanted to throw ends, do pan ams, :roll: phonic monkeys or loop something, then I'd get a decked boat :wink:. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly glad that folks still rodeo in canoes, freestyle or whatever it's called; however the boats have become so specialized. They are frankly outside the realm of what open boats are for most open boaters.
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

So, Photon...for a side event in AL this Spring are you proposing a rockspin/pirouette show?! Sounds Sweet! :lol:
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

If you combine it with the 2010 OC Slalom on the Locust we could offer 40+ classes... :lol:
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Craig,
Josh needs to answer the question for his comments..however there was and always is a lot of rumour and speculation....

What i will say is i am aware that the vultures are waiting.....probably for the first time that not enough competitors turn up at a major international event!!
The squirt event nearly never happened in Thun for just that reason...
All i can say to people worldwide is, if we want to keep OC1 rodeo alive we need to be out there and doing it... :D :D

Chris
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Ah yes; as I originaly said this originated from a bloke I know on the ICU's Irish Freestyle Comittee (who in turn have a say at the ECF and ICF); I suspect that he was letting his mouth get ahead of himself, but as everyone seems to be saying... rumours of this sort have been circulating for some time.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Paul and Phil, you are both right. If the competition mandated using traditional canoes 10' and up and comps took place in holes like hades hole, the ottawa, the one in Germany in '95 etc... there would still be 30 people competing at worlds and tons showing up for team trials.

Frankie sent the sport in another direction when he came out with the skeeter, then he took things even more extreme with the super fly and then he really went radical with the cu-fly. Having said all of that, I enjoy paddling the little boats and competing in rodeo. I'm probably a lot better overall paddler as a result of the time I've spent in the little boats.

Here's hoping they keep OC in at the next worlds. Hopefully there will be a big turnout. I don't know if anyone has noticed but the same countries usually come back with OC year after year: US, Britain, Canada, Germany and Spain. The only way to get more boats at the worlds will be to get OC's from other countries to show up. Hmmm... I don't know very many OC paddlers that live in countries other than the ones I just mentioned...
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

You guys can use the OCA or even the "Rodeo" if you want to... but I'll stick to the Super-, Spanish-, CU-, Salsa and Black-fly lineup. :wink:

If there's a big hole on top that water can pour into, if you are kneeling and using a single bladed stick... to me... it's an OC

Oh... and Phil... I'll take your Spanishfly off your hands to save you any future embaressment... cuz "that ain't no canoe Holmes" :lol:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Phil... where'd your post go?

That was hilarious! :lol:
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Craig, I like the little boats. I paddle all of them. heck, I want a black fly!

The only point is that they limit the number of competitors. I'm not saying I want to go back just stating the facts.

See you at the gauley. You may find me on top of a rock doing a rock spin 360 in a spanish fly!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

that's what i don't get... no one ever said you couldn't compete in bigger old-school boat... right? :wink:

yeah... i'm trying to find a way to make it to the UY next Friday and then the G on Sat/Sun... hand be dern'd