Slalom nationals - where?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

2opnboat1 wrote:...hades I have respect for the guys that can run a course and not feel like there heart is goin to pop. I dont knock racers for a reason and it is not because I think they are cool but because it is hard
What makes you think some of us don't feel wasted at the end? :-? I was just telling someone today about my C1 run in the '98 World Masters games. I thought I was goin' to $^%^ die at the end. (Long course with a non-eddy upstream at the end.) I measured my heart rate as I was gasping for air. 200bpm (And I was 52 years old at the time.) Fortunately, open boat slalom is a little less endurance-intensive, but I still usually finish in the 160bpm range.
Bob P
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I kind of like the size the way it is...

This way you can compete at different disciplines and not have to be the top-dawg in just one. For instance Kaz doesn't just race Slalom, but excels at Downriver as well. Dooley just doesn't Free-Style he does Slalom (and downriver) as well. I met Craig first at Slalom races, and later he got into Free-style (rodeo). In our little world of open boating, the best are usually the best at several type of competition. While most of our deck-boater buds, have to commit a life-time to being good at just one. The Eric Jacksons are few and far between. While I have met and boated with some of the best open boaters, at several different type of venues for years now. It's more like a gathering of friends, trying to out do each other. It's why people keep returning every few years to get beat, it's not just about the race. Not to fail and mention, that usually the competitors (the general everyday competitors) are the guys-n-gals paddling the harder runs anywhere... like some that I didn't mention (Mark Shriver, Eli, Psyco, Andrew, Andy Walker, and so on... who also are winning events). And there's dozen more that you have never heard of, that keep coming back... and with the options and level of competition we have now - you could too.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Corran Addison... also a former slalom racer... and I'd say he's excelled at nearly every discipline of paddling over the years... though I don't know if he's ever been in an open boat.

Whitewater Slalom is the "gateway" :wink:

(that belongs on a t-shirt or a bumper sticker... all rights reserved and patent pending) :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Yes....

Corran paddled OC1 as team South African at Augsburg in'95. He was in a Massive canoe, when it was still called whitewater rodeo.

He and Ian (Massive) were responsible for most of the rules governing todays free-style. He showed up in a canoe with the stern cut-way lower than bow, so water would flow back and out. It was also almost completely air bagged out, much smaller than everyone else's canoe, and not nearly as deep. Two distinct divisions immediately formed. With one group crying foul, and the other saying the boat violates no rule. Everyone knew who would shine; however they didn't know that air-bags needed to laced in (like tied in) and he never did more than enter the hole, sink, and wash out.... as the airbags always jettisoned, with their impromptu jury-rigging. Turn to form, he was a crowd pleaser.

... good to see, that you're not a know-it-all.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:lol: let's just say that I've heard rumors Phil.
raven3693
c

Post by raven3693 »

lol

You guys crack me up this is better then watching my 60 Sony!
I have heard it said if you throw a stone into a flock of geese one will always HONK.
No offense and maybe it is hard paddling down a class !! river with dangling poles. I have not tried it i confess but i have seen a race
and the canoeist had to move the gates because they could not make the move the kayakers could. This Kaz guy must be the man. but i'll tell you what dude i have not organized a MAJOR event but neither have you.
How can you call OPEN BOAT NATIONAL SLALOM RACES (name longer then the course) a major event get a grip stop inflating yourself and the EVENT. Sure if i have nothing else to do I'd watch. I am not seeing a whole lot of young people out there. They like would get serious get good and deck it and wear a skirt like it was mean to be
I guess like Cheers everyone wants to go somewhere were people will know there name
Of course you could lawn bowl for that another MAJOR event
Hey try and get over it i am the cat your the mouse stop taking the bait. I sure it like many new things takes some getting use to. Not so much paddling well and making the moves but just working the gates in itself is likely all about technic and if you've got nothing else to do but trip around poles all the time then hey cool knock yourself out
But lets get on the river that are a flown and step up the class to say 4/5 and see the moves oh yeah baby to go where only two blades dare
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Kayaker.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Typical Kayker
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Trollyaker
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

raven3693 wrote:. . .But lets get on the river that are a flown and step up the class to say 4/5 and see the moves oh yeah baby to go where only two blades dare
....ready :) willing :D and able :P.

Why, you interested in hosting one?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

BTW - expect this years race announcement soon.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Raven, lets go boatin.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Dont get me wrong I have raced in the past and plan on it in the future. I like it it is just to time comsuming for me right now. I might make it to nationals. I might make it to the moon you just never know. I hope that if I make it i want make a fool of myself, but if I do I will have fun
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe wrote:BTW - expect this years race announcement soon.
:wink:
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

raven3693 wrote:lol

I have heard it said if you throw a stone into a flock of geese one will always HONK.yourself out
That also happens with those clusters of kyacks you see on a river. :lol:
raven3693 wrote:But lets get on the river that are a flown and step up the class to say 4/5 and see the moves oh yeah baby to go where only two blades dare
Sheesh. I wish I had a "face-palm" emoticon for this one. I have no idea what a "flown" is and talking about what "only two blades dare" is just that, talk.

For a moment, I honestly thought you had a point, "raven". Evidently, you don't. Seriously, is boatertalk that boring you have to create an account here? When you are done trash talking on the internet, feel free to grab a canoe and join us. Otherwise, stay safe on the internet.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."