What would be a good high volume tandem for class III

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The Dagger Venture is a 17 foot canoe that's best suited for Class 2 water, though I've also run Class 3 rapids in it. It's wet--it doesn't rise out out of the waves like a Dimension or Legend. The Venture plows. It's a great class 2 tripper though because you can put so much gear in it. I'll go on trips where everyone else has stuff piled above the gunwales, but in our Venture, the gear will all be just up to the gunwales.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Challenger

Post by Einar »

Pierre, the Westerns Challenger is great boat but hard to find. I would buy one in a minute. Depth, speed, rocker and reasonably dry for it's class; kinda like a Dimension or Canyon but with harder chines and lighter. A friend has one but won't part with it.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Einar

Good comment. Actually, Western made a couple of WW tandem boats worth discussing:

In the '80s, they came out with the Encounter -- a lively tandem craft, about 16'8", and very round-bottomed. It was a great boat IF you (and your partner) could paddle it aggressively, and harmoniously. But if you didn't OWN it, it would OWN you. Wetly.

Then they brought out the Merganser -- shorter, at around 15'4", flatter, and much more forgiving. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, a very acceptable boat -- I've surfed a ton in mine.

The Challenger was Clipper's name for the Piranha -- originally a solo craft -- Whitesell's design, but in composite. I think they had to change the name for copyright reasons.

It was my first solo WW boat. Now lotsa folks (and I) are brushing off the cobwebs, and converting them into tandem boats. Reduce, reuse, recycle! I hope to have mine on the water by June's Rivers Week. Wanna go for a spin?

Meantime, see ya in Merritt this long weekend???
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Einar
CBoats Addict

Tune up

Post by Einar »

Thanks for the historical tune up, I always wondered where the Merganser fitted in the equation given the similarities in class between the three hulls.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Despair not, good people.

Einar, assure your friend he is safe from nocturnal burglary.

I'd guess that, for a slight extra fee, the good folks at Western would dig up the old molds, shovel out the dust, and build you a brand spanking new Challenger (aka Piranha), or a Merganser.

Oldies, but goodies!
C'est l'aviron. . . !
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

milkman wrote:The Dagger Venture is a 17 foot canoe that's best suited for Class 2 water, though I've also run Class 3 rapids in it. It's wet--it doesn't rise out out of the waves like a Dimension or Legend. The Venture plows. It's a great class 2 tripper though because you can put so much gear in it. I'll go on trips where everyone else has stuff piled above the gunwales, but in our Venture, the gear will all be just up to the gunwales.
I have very little experience in big boats WW, I did however bring a Venture down the Nantahala once, it was fast, high and dry. I was the lead canoe molder at Dagger for a couple years mid 90's. I always wanted to put a Dimension in the water, but never did. It was only a rare ocassion we even molded them. The Caption was the hot tandem then. But thinking of two big boys(like me) the dimension would probably be perfect.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

There was a tandem (Whitesell) Piranha on my G.Canyon trip in the early 80's... I also paddled one tandem on the Ocoee, Upper and Lower Gauley, New (@good water), Sec IV Chattooga and it was fine. Not sure if it would be my choice today, but it was certainly a perfectly acceptable tandem boat.

Have you tired the caption? I had a rather extra-large stern partner (more than just big-tall-n stout) and it was fine... think it would be worth looking at also.