Werner Bandit

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I just shortened my bandit.

I had a lot of trouble with the grip. A heat gun didn't work. I tried using boiling water to remove the grip. It didn't work. Actually, after trying with boiling water, the T-grip it self was starting to twist a little!! I don't what they used for adhesive. You might want to ask.

I ended up using the hacksaw-circumcision method that someone mentioned earlier to remove the grip. I did the the same thing to remove the left-over shaft from the grip only I cut in a spiral shape (like a candy cane) and pried it up with a screw driver. It worked but I don't know how I would have got it off without shortening the paddle.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

ian123 wrote:I had a lot of trouble with the grip. A heat gun didn't work. I tried using boiling water to remove the grip. It didn't work. Actually, after trying with boiling water, the T-grip it self was starting to twist a little!! I don't what they used for adhesive. You might want to ask.
If it comes off with heat they used fast-curing epoxy, if it won't come off when heated they used normal slow-curing epoxy.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

well i have never had a problem with the t grip loosening and i leave mine in the car constantly in atlanta ga so that is a pretty good test but I have always got mine from werner directly through pro deal actually I asked for one without a t grip and they said they wouldn't do it.
I have given up on making my own grip for it since I have never had a problem and I think they are the most reliable paddles out there for abuse. Yeah they wear down but they won't leave you stranded and they have a good catch on rock :wink:
D-Caption
C Guru

Bandit upgrade

Post by D-Caption »

Xmasoc1k1c1,

I just finished doing both my paddles. I took the bandit grip off and bought a hardwood dowel from home depot. Baily sticks mostly have 1 and 1/4 handles about 4 and 1/4 long with 3/4 hole bored 3/4 deep. I put the t-grip on the dowel and slid it down in the shaft about 4 inches with epoxpy. You might have to do some sanding for a perfecy fit. Baily recomends cutting v shaped groovs up and down the dowel to give a place for the epoxy to imbed and it keeps it from turning. I also drilled a small hol and drove a small drive pin. My bandit came with one in it. Bomber. Hope this helps.
Wouldnt happen to have a dry suit for sale would you?

D-Caption
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

make an offer but winter is nearing so i am more likely to decline than before
D-Caption
C Guru

Post by D-Caption »

That was a long time back, I cant remember your asking price, or the size, or model. Seems like large, with socks and relief zipper with gortex. How did I do on guessing.
Let me know .

D-Caption
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

If I can get the grip out of the shaft on a Bandit, the rest is pretty easy. I would glue in a wood plug, softening the lower edges so that there is not a marked jump in pressure there. Then I would drill a hole in the plug for a dowel narrow enough not to scrunch my pinkies. Though if the grip itself is large enough, the dowel need not be that small. Sometimes I drill two smaller holes, each 3/8" and right next to each other, so that I can carve out the gap and put in a semi-rectangular connection rather than a round dowel. There are lots of variations.